The "History Hour" at the Xavier Centre for Historical Research [XCHR],
Porvorim, next door to TSKK, at six on 06 Oct., 2005, was interesting if a
bit subdued for an emotive issue like a script for a Mother Tongue. Perhaps,
the fact that the discussion was in English and the topic was "Konknni" was
a contributing factor to the easy course of the discussion. Using a
Sociologist like Dr.Alito Sequeira was perhaps another. The hour went on for
two hours and the only person who spoke out of turn...and refused to take a
turn to speak...was a senior Freedom Fighter who has what it takes to raise
an issue to a higher decibel.

The main speaker, Ramnath G.Naik's, case was that the official language
adopted by Goa is not "Konknni" as it is mis-branded in the Official
Language Act, 1987 [ Official Gazette page 58 Series I No.7 dated 14
May,1987] but "Bahmnni", the language of the Bahmonns of Goa [ as distinct
from Brahmans who are referred to as Bhotts in Goa.] The definition '(c)
"Konkani language" means Konkani language in Devnagari script' was the
mischief as Konkani was always written and read by the majority of the
Konkani speakers in the Romi script. The hindus anyway read in marathi and
18 years after the Official Language Act one lakh persons read marathi
newspapers while only a few hundreds read the Devanagari script Konkani
newspaper published in Goa. Less than one hundred letters to the Government
were written in Devanagari Konkani annually while 3000 odd letters were
written in Marathi. About Rs.50 lakhs are siphoned off annually allegedly to
promote Konknni in Goa.

The speaker also attacked Adv.Uday Bhembre personally, calling him Osama bin
Bhembre. this aspect did not go well with the audience, irrespective of
their script affiliations. The caste factor played a role in the speech,
with the speaker alleging that the Bahmonn Devanagari Konkani chauvinists of
threatening Marathi supporters like him with dire consequences..of not being
permitted to eat a grain of rice in peace. The speaker was proud of his
Bhandari Samaj connection that a friend calls BSNL[ Bhandari Samaj Network
Limited.]. When challenged as to why the Bhandaris did not achieve their
goals when BSNL ruled Goa in the early years of liberated Goa, he replied
that they were only stooges of the behind-the-scenes bahmonn syndicates.
Adv. Uday Bhembre gets his turn to speak out on 20 October at six at XCHR.

In the interaction that followed Fr. Mousinho Ataide, Ulhas Buyao, Fr.
Moreno D'Souza, Sandesh Chopdekar, Fredrick Noronha, Prof.S.M.Borges, Miguel
Braganza and others participated.

In a parallel discussion on the Net, there are some non-konkani speaking
Goans who hold the view that Mangaloreans should not speak about Konknni.
This appears to be chauvinistic on two counts:1. Konknni is the language of
the Konkan, not just Goa.and 2. While we have terms like Gulf Goans and East
African Goans [ some of whom do not speak Konknni or have even visited Goa],
Goans who migrated to Karwar and mangalore remain Karwaris and
Mangaloreans...not Karwar Goans or Mangalore Goans. Perhaps they should sing
Jerome D'Souza's hit song of the 1970s, " MHAKA GUNVDDAI-I-I-I-LO ", that
was posted on the Goanet by Goan Domnic Fernandes who, along with Lino
Dourado, consistently posts in Konkani every week.

Viva Goa.

Miguel

: "domnic fernandes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote