http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1255016.cms

Dempo signs MoU with Jharkhand

PTI THURSDAY, OCTOBER 06, 2005 09:05:43 PM]NRI Special Offer!

RANCHI: The V S Dempo and company, a flagship of the Dempo group
operating in Goa, on Thursday committed to set up in Jharkhand an iron
ore beneficiation plant and half-a- million integrated steel plant at a
cost of Rs 1,016.20 crore.

''We will set up an integrated steel plant of capacity about 0.5 mt/yr
of cast billets along with iron ore (fines and lumps beneficiation
facilities with an estimated cost of Rs 1,016.20 core,'' Srinivas Dempo,
the managing director-cum chairman of the company, told newsmen after
signing an MOU with the government.

The company, which had a gross turnover of Rs 146.6 crore and Rs 178.8
crore in year ending 2002 and 2003 respectively, had establishments in
Vilaspur and Paradeep, besides Goa, he said.

Chief Minister Arjun Munda said he gave priority to Dempo as the company
would help upgrade waste and rejected iron ore.

Dempo said his company was committed to spend profits for social cause
as is being done in Goa.

''We have our dempo football academy, and we can support jharkhand in
producing football talents. We also work in education too,'' he said.