|              Add your name to the CLEAN GOA INITIATIVE                 |
|      by visiting this link and following the instructions therein      |
|   http://shire.symonds.net/pipermail/goanet/2005-October/033926.html   |
http://www.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=56849&headline=Bush~to~c
ome~to~India~with~New~Year~N-gift#compstory
Press Trust of India
Posted online: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 at 0953 hours IST
Washington, October 19: With India voting alongside United States on the Iranian nuclear issue at the IAEA, Congressional opposition to the Indo-US nuclear agreement has disappeared, Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs Nicholas Burns today said. There should now be substantial support for the agreement with the Congress approving it by the time President George W Bush visits India early next year, Burns told the Asia Society in New York on the eve of his visit to India. On the issue of expansion of Security Council, he said the US is "fully prepared to look at the question of Security Council expansion" after the UN is reformed ground up, including management reforms, human rights council reforms and other issues. The world, he said, has certainly seen India's emergence as a more powerful actor on the world stage and the United States has begun to shift its view of India's place in the world and America's relationship with New Delhi. The engagement of the US with India rests on very solid foundations --shared values, shared interests, and shared views on how best to promote democracy, peace and stability in the 21st century. Both countries were multi-ethnic, multi-lingual and multi-religious democracies that prized individual freedom, the rule of law and constitutional government based on free and fair elections. India is acquiring all the characteristics of a global power--economic, political and strategic--and it is certainly in the us national interest to see that it develops forward, burns said. India as the world's largest democracy and the US as the world's oldest democracy need to work together in the future, including at the UN.
Regards,
carlos

|          1st Young Goans International Essay contest 2005              |
|                   Theme: WHAT CAN I DO FOR GOA                         |
|                         More details at                                |
|  http://shire.symonds.net/pipermail/goanet/2005-October/034190.html    |