|              Add your name to the CLEAN GOA INITIATIVE                 |
|      by visiting this link and following the instructions therein      |
|   http://shire.symonds.net/pipermail/goanet/2005-October/033926.html   |
This post isn't connected to Goa, my apologies! But the lessons from it
could have deep relevance to our region. Please share! FN

Pune teaches Gujarat SMART farming

AGRICULTURE * BAIF Foundation gives tips to 300 Surat, Bharuch farmers
for round-the-year harvest

RITUPARNA BHUYAN
Pune October 24, 2005

The Indian Express
www.expressindia.com

TANGJIBHAI Samabhai Chaudhari of Kimdungra village in Mandavi taluka of
Surat district was a desperate man a few years ago.

With only 0.1 hectare for cultivation, Tangjibhai was looking for a job
to support his wife and three daughters when field workers of the
Pune-based Bharatiya Agro Industrial Foundation (BAIF) changed his life.

Today, he is one of the 300 SMART farmers in Surat and Bharuch districts
of Gujarat, thanks to the BAIF initiative.

An acronym for Sustainable Multi Species Agricultural Resource User
Trial, SMART is an activity under the Transfer of Technologies for
Sustainable Development project undertaken by BAIF in Surat.

In simple words, SMART is an intensive farming strategy taken up in very
small plots of lands.

"It's somewhere between large commercial farms and kitchen gardens,"
explains J N Daniel, chief scientist at BAIF Development Research
Foundation, who was involved with the designing of strategies for SMART
farming.

The concept is not new, only the BAIF has customised it using available
local resources. "Based on the inputs, we designed the model and later
modified it with more inputs from the field staff. The model was
finalised in consultation with the farmers," Daniel said.

He said the farmers were following traditional farming techniques in
their small plots, resulting in low returns.

But using the SMART way, they can go in for a combination of vegetables,
pulses, fruits and medicinal plants on the same plot. "Using this
technique, we are able to maintain the fertility of the soil, which
otherwise may take a drastic dip due to intensive farming," Daniel said.

SMART farming is most suitable for plots of land between 10 and 20
gunthas, and 20 different types of species can be planted in the area.

On an average, the profits generated from 0.1 hectare usually ranges
between Rs 6000 to Rs 11000 per year. But what is significant is that
the SMART farming technique can be used for round-the-year harvesting.

The initiative began a few years ago with only 20 farm sites that grew
to 300 in about 30 months. In addition, 95 farmers, who were not part of
the project, also adopted the model on their own.

Most of the SMART farmers usually sell their own produce, while their
family works on the farms.

If water is available for irrigating 0.1 hectare and a family can devote
adequate time, SMART farming can generate employment for a family of two
throughout the year.

Impressed by the encouraging results of SMART, Surat district collector
has recommended the replication of the model in the entire district
covering 1000 families. (ENDS)

Some links:

Tree-based farming
http://www.baif.com/r&d_tree.htm