|              Add your name to the CLEAN GOA INITIATIVE                 |
|      by visiting this link and following the instructions therein      |
|   http://shire.symonds.net/pipermail/goanet/2005-October/033926.html   |
Interestingly, Rosa Parks was not the first to give up her seat in Montgomery,
Alabama, but the
most famous. If I recall correctly from an article I read, there was a 15
year-old girl who did
so, but the NAACP did not want to use her to publicize the issue as she was
pregnant at the time
(unmarried).

In any case, the most remarkable aspect of this issue besides Rosa Parks
refusing to give up her
seat, was that a 26 year-old Martin Luther King took his first Minister job in
the nearby Dexter
Avenue Baptist Church at that time. He could potentially have taken a job in
Atlanta, Georgia, and
one wonders how much different history would have been. Vernon Johns, pastor in
the Church before
MLK, paved the way for the civil rights struggle in Montgomery which MLK
launched with others from
the Church basement. The rest as they say is history.

See picture of the Church, http://www.dexterkingmemorial.org/history/. A few
blocks from the
church is the State Legislature and Governor's mansion (or former mansion  - I
cannot remember).
There is now a Civil Rights Memorial close by.

Regards,
George