|              Add your name to the CLEAN GOA INITIATIVE                 |
|      by visiting this link and following the instructions therein      |
|   http://shire.symonds.net/pipermail/goanet/2005-October/033926.html   |
Not about Goa, but relevant here too. FN

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1276311.cms

NGO keeps crime at bay

Swati Basu
[ Wednesday, October 26, 2005 09:54:29 pmTIMES NEWS NETWORK ]

Police has also been keeping a protective watch on the elderly.

Case 1  : Fifty-five year old Robin Guha, a retired government official,
was helped by 31- year-old Brijesh Majumdar depositing money with mutual
funds.

Brijesh worked on the trust factor for two years but guha had no clue
that all this while he was accumulating a princely sum of 9 lakhs and he
fled to Bihar. He was recently nabbed by the DD team of Kolkata Police.

Case 2  : The murder of 60-year-old Laxmi Sundaram, the founder
chairperson of Dignity Foundation, is another example of an elderly
person falling prey to criminal acts. She was all alone in her Kolkata
apartment, when she was murdered and all valuables of her house were
robbed. Six persons were arrested.

Case 3  : Tara Chand Banka (68) and Sarda Devi Banka (60) were relieved
when they found a servant who would work for them 24 hours. They were
unaware of the fact that he was a burglar, who murdered both of them and
stole all money and jewellery. Ram Prasad was later arrested.

They are old, lonely, and perhaps, the most vulnerable of the lot.
Reason: Their dependence on others and their growing age. As more and
more old people were falling pray to the ruse of crooks the Dignity
Foundation in association with the Kolkata Police have come to their
rescue.

Preety Roy, Chairperson of Dignity Foundation, Kolkata Chapter, said,
"While we are increasing the number of volunteers who can keep in
constant touch with the aged and the lonely we have also requested
senior police officials to communicate regularly with senior citizens.

We are planning to come up with a ward-system for senior citizens only.
Here, the aged will be able to give voice to their problems and also get
free counselling."

Robin Guha said, "I had almost given up hope but Kolkata police not only
got me my money but also caught the conman. Now whatever I do I always
consult them and they are very patient with people like us."

"The aged are more vulnerable to fall into a trap because they often
have to depend on strangers on a number of occasions," said, 55-year-old
Bhaswati Biswas.

Sundaresa Swaminathan, who is a resident of Lake Gardens, believes that
there are problems lurking all around for a 70-year old-person like him.
"I stay all alone and at this age, I do feel threatened by what had
really happened with a couple of elderly citizens in the city," said
Swaminathan.

He was cheated by investment brokers. "I had invested a huge amount with
the help of a sub-broker. He took money at regular intervals and
ultimately never returned. When I called him, he refused to take my
calls and when I rang his office in Jadavpur, I was shocked to know that
his office didn't exist," he added helplessly.

The criminals usually win the trust first and then once the victim is
trapped, it is easier for them to carry out their operations. Brijesh
Majumder, who is currently in custody, said, "It was easy to cheat Robin
Guha as he usually forgot to check the amount he invested and relied
mostly on me for information."

Assuring protective measures from his side, DCDD (I) Gyanwant Singh
said, "There are a number of cases where the old are attacked and even
murdered. We really appreciate the kind of steps taken by the Dignity
Foundation and Kolkata Police will provide them with all required help
to safeguard the old people in the city."

[EMAIL PROTECTED]