|              Add your name to the CLEAN GOA INITIATIVE                 |
|      by visiting this link and following the instructions therein      |
|   http://shire.symonds.net/pipermail/goanet/2005-October/033926.html   |
http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_disp.asp?n_id=15801&n_tit=Goa%3A
+Janice+Sobti%2C+Professional+Singer+from+Vasco%2C+Crowned+Miss+Goa+2005

News -- Goa: Janice Sobti, Professional Singer from Vasco, Crowned Miss
Goa 2005

from Sanjay Borkar in Margao for Daijiworld News Network - Goa - Pics
Sagun Gawade - Sunday, 10-15 am

Margao, Oct 30: ...And the third 'Miss Goa-2005' is Janice Sobti.

In the glamorous and the exciting event of Miss Goa-2005 held on
Saturday nigh, organized by VJT Art Entertainment, held at Colva in the
The Oceanique Resort, Janice Sobti, an 18-year-old profession singer
from Vasco, was crowned Miss Goa, while Steffi Alvares was chosen as 1st
runner up, Miss Talent title was snatched by Flet Dias, Miss Catwalk by
Cristabel Rocha and the Miss Smile title was taken by Miriam Gracias.

 Miss Goa-2004 Melisa Rodrigues seen crowing Janice Sobti as Miss Goa-
                                  2005

The evening began with heart-pounding music by DJ Reva Lution, who had
earlier flown from Dubai to Goa, specially for this event. Anchor Priya
Arya of Mumbai fame welcomed everyone to the glittering Miss Goa-2005
event.

                        Winners of the top slots

'By organizing Miss Goa, I am trying to give a plank for Goan girls'
talent. I hope next year more girls will come to showcase their talent,'
said Joe Dias of VJT, on the occasion.

At exactly 8.40 pm, the show kicked off with eleven semifinalists
introducing themselves to the audience on the ramp. The ramp had been
set up in the middle of the swimming pool, surrounded by colourful
psychedelic lamps.

                  Romanch Mehta and troupe performing

The main pageant of the evening then began with the traditional segment,
in which all the contestants showcased themselves in the 'Ghagra choli',
then in formal wear and swimming suits. After this three segments, four
girls, Amanda Pereira, Aakriti Bisaria, Jammie Gonsalves and Sneha Desai
were eliminated.

As the contestants moved along very smoothly from one segment to
another, in the all the segments, each semifinalist dazzled the audience
in the segment of talent by performing magic, singing, dances and laugh
talks. Thereafter that Resort campus resounded with the  applause from
the audience regularly.

                               Glamour...

In the Question & Answer segment, all the semifinalists  gave impressive

                          ...and more glamour

The audience present on the event, acclaimed the eleven beautiful girls
when they,began to catwalk on the ramp. With the flavour of music and
lighting effects around there, the event got into a real atmosphere of
the modelling world.

To fill the gaps between the segments, Mumbai dancer, singer Mohini and
artiste Dabru from the film industry entertained the audience. A Goan
troupe presented the 'Kunnbi' dance. Choreographer Romanch Mehta, with
Sangeeta and Dabru, performed a trio dance to the beat of  ‘Kajara re
kajara re, tere tere kale kale naina’.

The panel of judges had to choose only one of them as 'Miss Goa' and it
was a real tough job, it looked like. But during the quesion-answer
round, Janice Sobti appeared to have scored above everyone else and she
managed to snatch the crown.

                          Eleven semifinalists

For the winner of Miss Goa title, no doubt it was a moment of triumph
evening, yet for the other semifinalists also it was an evening that
will last in their memory forever.

'God was with me, that’s why I could win the Miss Goa- 2005 crown. The
best always wins and that’s me who is the best. I would like to make my
career in modeling,' said Miss Goa 2005 Janice Sobti, responding to a
query from this correspondent, after the event.

                           The panel of jury

Eleven beautiful girls who were vying with each other in this event are
Cristabel Rocha, Flet Dias, Amanda Pereira, Janice Sobti, Steffi
Alvares, Aakriti Bisaria, Karene Dias, Miriam Gracias, Jammie Gonsalves,
Jesina Pereira and Sneha Desai.

Their talent was judged by a panel of jury consisting of Vivek Singh (MD
of Proclaim Sports), Corina Ferns, Ruchika Chowgule (MD of Chowgule Real
Estate), Ranjit Thakur (Trend TV) and Simple Caul.

The event concluded by 1.00 am in the wee hours of Sunday. Yet, for the
audience the event was not over, with most of them still dancing in
Bollywood style until much later. The night was still young after all..