|                    Goa - 2005 Santosh Trophy Champions                 |
|      Support Soccer Activities at the grassroots in our villages       |
|  Vacationing in Goa this year-end - Carry and distribute Soccer Balls  |
Fred,
Without being too blunt, let me tell you to please not worry too much
about the lives being lost or the cost to the exchequer, because the
Armed Forces are acutely concious about both these issues.  Our young
officers who are charged with the responsibility of operating hardware
worth millions of dollars , are well trained and technically competent
as much as those in all the advanced nations of the world.
Nothing will emerge in the public domain as  far as accountibility is
concerned, as the proceedings of all boards of enquiry into loss of
major military equipment and involving loss of life are invariably
classified *confidential* or *secret*. This does not mean that nothing
has been done or facts are being swept under the carpet. If anything,
the Armed Forces take swift action to punish personnel who are guilty
of acts of negligence or gross error. In the case of the Tehelka
incident, the 4 Army officers involved are the only ones punished,
dismissed ,and sitting behind bars.  Whats happened to all the
civilians involved, including high profile politicians?
You may well ask as to why this secrecy is maintained, as the taxpayer
has paid for the equipment which has been lost.  Well, there are many
occassions where the failure of equipment may have immediate or long
term repercusions on operational capability. To illustrate my point,
you can see how thousands of cars of a certain brand may be recalled
due to a minor failure of a small component which may compromise the
safety of passengers. Similarly, In the case of the Seaharrier, we
would like our prospective enemies to know as little about our
problems as possible.
A liitle more about military boards of enquiry.  They are always
ordered with basically two aims in mind--to determine the exact cause
of the accident; in this case whether it was material failure or pilot
error;  and , secondly,to recommend  corrective action so that
repititions do not occur, and disciplinary action against the
personnel who have commited mistakes and errors is taken.  This is the
same procedure which is followed in all large democracies of the
world.  If you dont believe me, try and get your hands on proceedings
of classified boards of enquiries of the US Air Force/ Navy or the
RN/RAF.
I hope this will serve to clear the air.
In the case of this particular crash, the pilot was experienced,
having flown the same type for some years and used to the complexities
of carrier operations.  It is therefore difficult to determine what
went wrong.  It is a shame that we have lost a brave son of our
country.
regards,
Gilbert Menezes

> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 11:11:11 +0530
> From: "Frederick Noronha (FN)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Goanet] PLANE CRASH AT DABOLIM AIR STRIP
> To: goanet@goanet.org
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> On another point, the number of Sea Harriers that have crashed off Goa
> is surely not funny... considering both the lives lost and the cost to
> the national exchequer. Each time, an investigation is announced, but
> little seems to emerge as far as accountability goes.

* G * O * A * N * E * T *** C * L * A * S * S * I * F * I * E * D * S *
Spread the Christmas cheer - even when you're not here!
Send Christmas Greetings to your loved ones in Goa.
2005 Christmas Package - Flowers, Bubbles and Layers of Love.
http://www.goa-world.com/expressions/xmas/