|                    Goa - 2005 Santosh Trophy Champions                 |
|      Support Soccer Activities at the grassroots in our villages       |
|  Vacationing in Goa this year-end - Carry and distribute Soccer Balls  |
Saturday, December 10, 2005 12:02:10 am TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Bowing to long-standing demand of the Konkani community, the state
government has decided to introduce Konkani as an optional third
language between Class 6 and 10 from the next academic year.

The department of primary and secondary education has also decided to
stick to Kannada script for the language—though another suggestion to
use Devenagari is still in circulation.

In order to protect the interest of Kannada, the government will make
it mandatory for students opting for Konkani to compulsorily study
Kannada either as a first or second language.

Though Konkani Sahitya Academy had demanded introduction of Konkani in
the coastal districts—Mangalore, Udupi and Uttara Kannada—the
government will make it optional for all students across the state to
study Konkani as a third language.

The 10-member committee headed by Konkani Sahitya Academy president
Eric Ozario has prepared the syllabus for the language from Class 6 to
10 and the department has accepted the syllabus.

An official order will be issued next week, asking the Department of
State Education Research and Training to prepare the textbooks. Class
6 and 7 students will have four classes per week of 40 minutes a
period in Konkani, while Class 8, 9 and 10 students will have longer
classes of 45 minutes a class.

As per the syllabus circulated by DSERT, Class 6 students will have
six chapters under poetry and 11 chapters under prose.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1326126.cms
Ancy Salvadore D'Souza, Paladka
Photographs: http://ancy.fotopic.net/list_collections.php
* G * O * A * N * E * T *** C * L * A * S * S * I * F * I * E * D * S *
Spread the Christmas cheer - even when you're not here!
Send Christmas Greetings to your loved ones in Goa.
2005 Christmas Package - Flowers, Bubbles and Layers of Love.
http://www.goa-world.com/expressions/xmas/