Was just reading (in Dams, Rivers and People Vol 3 Issue 8-9 Sept Oct
2005) a brief mention of the increase of rice production in rain-fed
areas of Cambodia due to SRI, or systems of rice intensification. This
is supported by the European Commission and GTZ (the German technology
agency). Unlike pesticide/fertilizer-based 'Green Revolution'
technologies, this is considered to be a sustainable manner of
increasing yields.

It is also reporting success from Andhra Pradesh. Does anyone know if
this is being/can be applied in a place like Goa?

A quote: SRI is becoming increasingly well-established paddy cultivation
method that consumes only as much water compared to the present normal
practice, requires only two kgs/acre of seed, involves early
transplantation of single seedlings (8-10 days old) with spacing of
25x25 cm, less use of chemical fertilizers, and yeild that is double the
normal practice. The food grain produced is better for health as the
application of chemical inputs is reduced...
Frederick 'FN' Noronha  | http://del.icio.us/fredericknoronha
Saligao, Goa, India     | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Independent Journalist  | +91(832)2409490 Cell 9822122436

|                    Goa - 2005 Santosh Trophy Champions                 |
|      Support Soccer Activities at the grassroots in our villages       |
|  Vacationing in Goa this year-end - Carry and distribute Soccer Balls  |