|    Goanetters annual meet in Goa is scheduled for Dec 27, 2005 @ 4pm   |
|The Riviera Opposite Hotel Mandovi, Panjim (near Ferry Jetty/Riverfront)|
|         Attending.......drop a line to [EMAIL PROTECTED]            |
Rave rage hits Goa before New Year
30 Dec: NewIndPress. It could not have been a worse end to a year of partying for the global trance trippers, who have collected on Goa's famed Anjuna Beach - for the first time in 25 years, the administration has come down with its heavy hand on the revellers and banned rave parties. The silence is so spooky it's almost spectral ... Hoteliers are nervous, there will be a near riot if the thousands, from Birmingham to Mumbai, have nowhere to go, they fear ... The police, local administration, politicians, even the church and some sections of the media have all whipped up rave rage, with obvious consequences of cultural policing and moral brigades stalking the landscape ... Tourism Minister Dr Wilfred D'Souza is unimpressed. "We have not banned rave parties, anyone can have a party until 10 pm," he says. http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IE420051229112343&Page=4&Title=Features+%2D+People+%26+Lifestyle&Topic=0

Unquiet Village Goa
30 Dec: Navhind Times. The lynching of 32-year-old Prithviraj Rane, son of landlord and freedom fighter, Mr Krishnarao Rane by a mob at the Saleli village on Wednesday was a gory incident that threatens to rip apart the serene, moderate and peace-loving image of Goans. http://www.navhindtimes.com/stories.php?part=news&Story_ID=12304

NRIs:  Interest rate;  Overseas Citizenship of India
28 Dec: Hindustan Times. Excerpts: The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is attempting to lure NRIs with higher interest rate on deposits with Indian Banks ... banks can offer a return of 75 basis points over the London inter-bank offered rate (Libor) for dollars, which is currently 4.58% for six months. The Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) scheme would go a long way towards meeting much more than the emotional yearning for greater affinity with the 'homeland' ... The OCI may not get an Indian passport, but the next best thing: a lifetime, multipurpose, multi-entry visa that is incorporated in his foreign passport: and a registration certificate resembling an Indian passport but in a different colour. Click here.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/5983_1584316,00430005.htm

NRIs offer expertise on 100 projects
28 Dec: Hindustan Times. Excerpt: Some of the best-known names of the Indian Diaspora in the US have come together to give something back to their mother country. What is more commendable is that it is not money but their expertise that is being provided. About one hundred projects with Indian-American expertise are to be launched immediately. They are also looking at a two-way transfer of expertise. http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/5983_1584320,00430005.htm

Gatwick/Goa return bargains
£199. Dep 31 Dec. 7, 14 or 21 days. £159. Dep 1 Jan. 15 days.
For details and other offers check the link at http://www.goanvoice.org.uk/

Death
25 Dec: Assagao, Goa. MARIA ANGELICA VISITACAO FERNANDES SOUZA (Born 1918; ex-Zanzibar). Wife of late Francis Anthony Patrick, mother of Prof Maurice/Ivone, William/Teresa, Prof Leonard/Thelma and Theresa. Grandmother of Adv Lorraine/Norman Albuquerque, Ian/Joanita, Evelyn, Jean Karl. [Info from Joel's News Clips]

UK: FORTHCOMING EVENTS

Sat, 31 Dec 7pm - 1am: South East Goans New Years Eve Dance. Mustang & Music Mania. Disco, Snacks, Licenced Bar, Secure Parking. Only £14 Members/£18 Non-members. Under 12 Free. Haberdashers College, 135 Pepys Road, Lewisham, London SE14 5SF Tickets: Ronald 020 8303 3386 Dominic 07854 490617

Sat. 31 Dec. Dark Star Social Club proudly present the New Year's Eve Gala Ball at Harrow Leisure Centre. 7.00pm to 2.00am. Music by Dark Star and Say-1-Do-1. Capacity 1,400 with New Licensed Bar. For Tickets and further details, contact Hazel Rodrigues 020-8357 6776, Bernie Gracias 020-8723 1322 or email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SOLD OUT! Sat. 7 Jan. G.O.A.  GOAN EXTRAVAGANZA  SOLD OUT!

UK: TV & RADIO  HIGHLIGHTS By Mafalda de'Sa

TV: Tues 3/1 BBC 2 2.15pm (180 mins). Film:  Gandhi
The celebrated blockbuster (1982) recounting the life of Mohandas K Gandhi. Director: Richard Attenborough. Starring: Ben Kingsley, Candice Bergen, Edward Fox, Martin Sheen, Trevor Howard, John Mills

TV: Tues. 3/1 Travel Channel. 4pm (60 mins). Tanzania and Zanzibar.
Ian Wright begins his journey on the island of Zanzibar and then visits Arusha and Mount Kilimanjaro.

Radio: Wed. 4/1 BBC Radio 4. 2.15pm (45 mins). Afternoon Play. By Amit Gupta. Two Indian chef brothers in Leicester fall out and open different establishments. Customers start eating in one and troop over to the other. But can their families cure the rift?

Recent Items Of Particular Interest on Goanet.  By Cornel DaCosta

Pio Fernandes, a Goan writer and music composer has staged many dramas in the Gulf region. Find out more about talented Pio who began as a poet and then worked with many top Bollywood actors and producers.

Some worrying news about attacks, robbery and violence, including rape, is reported as occurring on the Indian Railways between long distance destinations. Perhaps this is a timely note of caution to travellers.

Many Goan Voice (UK) readers will recall fond memories, as I do, of Radio Ceylon which provided lovely melodic music in pre-independence times in East Africa. Do read a nostalgic account of Radio Ceylon on Goanet.

Find out in a nutshell, about the earliest entry of Christianity into India and the estimate that there are 25 million Christians in India today. Discover some interesting information about the varied groupings within this overall number.

"The Portuguese Reconnection" on Goanet provides fascinating detail about Portuguese soaps, Portuguese culture and the opportunity to use the Portuguese language in Goa

Following earlier reportage of widespread theft of artefacts from churches, we now have information about well-funded pirates looting underwater treasures from coastal peninsular India, including Goa.

Finally, Goanet has some astonishing material about growth in the Indian aviation sector. This is set to grow by a mind-boggling 20% in the very near future. This year, airlines based in India, have placed orders for the latest passenger aircraft to the tune of $15.3 billion. However, the new planes cannot stay up in the sky, they have to land somewhere! The existing airports and personnel seem unready, for now, for so much increase in modern aircraft and which also use very advanced technological systems.