|                         Wishing all Goanetters                         |
|                             a Prosperous                               |
|                                  and                                   |
|                         Happy New Year - 2006                          |
|                    Goanet - http://www.goanet.org                      |
HEART TO HEART ( Dec 25)
By Ethel Da Costa

Together for a `Garbage Free' Panjim

Dear Santa,

My girls have been complaining that friends at school have been weaving theories to them of your non-existence and that you fell down the chimney and broke your neck! I'm horrified. I've made the right attempts at maintaining the right, serious expressions at dinner to express my shock at these 'false rumours' of your death. And I've worked bloody hard and extra this Christmas just to prove the point to them that you're alive and kicking. So, I'm adding my wish list too to your never ending legacy. In all sincerity and concern, I hope you will not disappoint me.

I've worked hard not to burden you this year with a request for a pair of Chanel shoes. Especially when I know not what I'm stepping onto these days, with the landfill site choking to its brim and the citizens of Panjim and Taleigao finding shortcuts with their waste into the neighbour's backyard, field, pathway and footpath. The horror of confronting human body waste every step of our way on a site inspection behind the PWD Sewage Office, Tonca, and the unbearable stench that can gag sensitive stomachs and sensibilities still remains freshly imprinted on my mind. It's a horror story I've confronted. I shudder to think of Curca. But Panjim is sitting on the verge of turning into a garbage dumpsite too, and it's all because people have forgotten how to minimize their waste and educate themselves on how not to use plastic for disposing bio-degradable waste; how not to use plastic at all and live healthy. It's un-cool. And it's turning my stomach at all the unpleasant sights and smells that greet us, as we scout for another landfill to cope with the pressures of a city struggling with unscrupulous builders (who have turned into voracious land sharks) without thought or concern for making arrangements in their colonies for composting stations. Nallahs, drains and riverbeds choking with plastic waste, even as we add more without a thought that we're killing our planet with our ignorance and lethargy. For turning a blind eye to politicians, panchayats, sarpanchs, MLAs and ministers and other twits who have lop-sided priorities when it comes to planning garbage management plans. Citizens who waste hours of precious time gossiping about the neighbour's daughter, son, daughter-in-law and single girl, but don't think it necessary to educate their peers on waste segregation, safe disposal and ban on plastic. NGOs who beat their chests at a public meeting and then lose steam when it comes to the crux of fighting out a corrupt politician in their taluka, who does not care where you dump your garbage as long as it's not his compound.

We're rocketing into a 'plastics only' 21st century. We're all going to die choking on plastic as it gags our existence with dependency.

But not me, Santa. I've declared a ban on plastic in my home. And I've been telling off the shopkeeper, book house and designer who has been thrusting plastic into my life and into my home, that I don't want their trash. It's time we form human chains of information, awareness and education with our involvement and commitment towards keeping our spaces plastic and garbage free by not adding to the menace; by involving heads of schools and colleges to educate their students about waste management and segregation; by accepting responsibility towards non-generation of non-biodegradable waste; by being community partners and spreading the good word that the solution to reducing waste is by encouraging the growth of more composting stations. We're determined to do it for Panjim. And we're committed that we will succeed. Let's work together for our city. Let Panjim set the right example (for Margao, Vasco, Mapusa, Calangute, Candolim, Baga) as a city that makes us proud we belong to her. It's time to reclaim our villages too. Because there's no power greater than community power to turn wastelands into fields of gold. Do it with pride! Do it because we care what happens to our environment. Do it because we want our children to live safe lives. Do it because we want our fields and mountains to grow green again. Do it because we want Goa to be a model State, who does not brush her garbage under the carpet while forgetting that out of sight may not necessarily mean free of stench. Do it because the only answer to survival is through self empowerment.

My girls have sent out their Santa lists. And it's another Christmas of love and belief. Thank You Santa for keeping those sleigh bells ringing. Merry Christmas!

====

|                    Goa - 2005 Santosh Trophy Champions                 |
|      Support Soccer Activities at the grassroots in our villages       |
|  Vacationing in Goa this year-end - Carry and distribute Soccer Balls  |