|                         Wishing all Goanetters                         |
|                             a Prosperous                               |
|                                  and                                   |
|                         Happy New Year - 2006                          |
|                    Goanet - http://www.goanet.org                      |
Indian football: All about strengthening the base
Newindpress.com
Saturday January 7 2006 00:00 IST

BANGALORE: Indian Football Association secretary Subrata Dutta was
selfish while he offered Mahindra United FC president Alan Durante to
shift the base of his club from Mumbai to Kolkata.  The letter is
believed to have promised Mahindra a host of facilities, stiff
competition and a huge following. What is the standard of local football
in the eastern metropolis at the moment? Except for East Bengal, the
others, including Mohun Bagan, Mohd Sporting and Tollygunge have not won
a single trophy worth its name in the last couple of years.

In the previous National Football League, the last three clubs struggled
to avoid relegation. Only Mohun Bagan succeeded. Last season too, it
wasn't different. Tollygunge went down and Mohun Bagan survived thanks
to Tolly's 'largesse' with their secretary Montu Ghosh openly and
unashamedly stating that they will help Mohun Bagan.
They did and 'got away' too.

Playing facilities?
With the 'Maidan System' in operation by which specific periods in a
year are allotted to various disciplines, the three clubs, East Bengal,
Mohun Bagan and Mohd. Sporting, they cannot play on their own grounds
all through the year. Most often, East Bengal practices at the Central
Park grounds in Salt Lake area, Mohun Bagan and Mohd. Sporting do so at
the SAI Eastern Centre grounds. So where is space for Mahindra to play
should they move base?

Kolkata clubs cannot have their NFL homes games on their own grounds
because they are in a pathetic condition. The government-owned Salt lake
Stadium ground is no better either. With the venue being used for
various non-sporting activities, even NFL grinds to a halt often. What
is Dutta trying to convey?  Or is he looking for team which can bring
home trophies to Kolkata without much investment? Apart from all this,
why does Dutta want to deny Mumbai the benefits of Mahindra's deep
interest and involvement in the game? After all, ever since clubs like
Tatas, Mafatlal and Orkay Mills have closed shop, it is Mahindra United
and Air-India which have kept soccer going in Mumbai.  Concentration of
football only in select parts has already been detrimental to the game
in the country.

Shrinking it further can only mean more disaster.
If at all Mahindra intend to shift base, Goa would be a far better
option than Kolkata. It's time someone puts some reason into the
illogical suggestions Subrata Dutta has come up with. Shifting base is
no answer to improvement. Strengthening base indeed is. Mahindra would
do well, or better, by being where they are.

|                    Goa - 2005 Santosh Trophy Champions                 |
|      Support Soccer Activities at the grassroots in our villages       |
|  Vacationing in Goa this year-end - Carry and distribute Soccer Balls  |