|         New on Goanet's website's A&E section - http://www.goanet.org

|           Book in Review: A Kind of Absence - Joao da Veiga Coutinho        |
|                     POEM: SUSEGAAD - Cynthia Gomes James                    |

http://www.goanet.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=216

Dear Netgaokars,

Today was the day that Goans voted to decide whether Goa should remain
separate or merge with Maharashtra. Thank God for the Shashtikars who voted
overwhelmingly for a separate identity. If the choice was left to the rest of
Goa we would have been a miniscule part of Sindhudurg or a separate district
in Maharashtra. The constituency-wise [28 in Goa of 1967]statistics will soon
be out in the open once again soon.

Today, the MARG of Gurunath Kelekar organised a small photo exhibition in what
used to be the Art Gallery of the Instituto Menezes Braganza [ raped by the
Goa Dept. of Art and Culture in the recent past]. Dr. Wilfred de Souza ,
Deputy Chief Minister[ and wannabe Chief Minister] was the Chief Guest. No
where else for the MCP from NCP to go. It is a pity. He once belonged to the
same party as the Father of the Opinion Poll, Dr.Jack Sequeira's United Goans
Party.

Sandesh Prabhudesai, editor of Sunaparant, reminded the Dy.CM. that the
politicians in Goa today owed their very existence to the Opinion Poll. 40 of
them would have otherwise been replaced by one MLA in the Maharashtra Vidhan
Sabha. Yet, the Government of the day finds no time to celebrate the Opinion
Poll day. Perhaps it can make amends by 19 January....the day when the results
of the historic Opinion Poll were declared. Goa had voted to remain separate.
Once again, thank God for the simple people of Salcete. they ensured a
separate identity. they fought for Konkani to be recognised as the state
language. If they have been cheated by inserting a definition to define the
script by another smart Shashtikar, they can still change that. It is not easy
to merge Goa into another state any more.

Viva Goa. Long live the Opinion of the Opinion Poll.

Miguel