|         New on Goanet's website's A&E section - http://www.goanet.org

|           Book in Review: A Kind of Absence - Joao da Veiga Coutinho        |
|                     POEM: SUSEGAAD - Cynthia Gomes James                    |

http://www.goanet.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=216

http://oheraldo.in/node/8680

Chodankar flays cops for going slow in Neri case

HERALD NEWS DESK
PANJIM, JAN 15 — The sloppy handling of Velim MLA Felipe Neri
Rodrigues signature forgery case by the police has exposed the
department's special treatment of BJP functionaries, according to
Youth Congress chief in Goa Girish Chodankar.

Chodankar was reacting to the High Court order granting anticipatory
bail to BJP general secretary Satish Dhond and Tivim MLA Sadanand Shet
Tanavade. Chodankar charged that the same police had shown extra
enthusiasm and worked overtime in arresting Sonmath Zuarkar, Mauvin
Godinho and Dayanand Narvekar during the BJP rule.
He also said that the observation made by the court clearly exposes
that the police department is still working overtime to protect BJP,
while citing the order which states that "The facts show that they
were pampered. Otherwise it is unheard of that a police officer will
record statements of accused as and when desired by an accused and
being assisted by his advocate" this strong observation talks very
loudly how police machinery is working in Goa. The court also blamed
the state and police for slow probe bringing investigation to
standstill.
He said, police inaction for not arresting accused Dhond and Tanavade
when both were moving freely has been also observed in the order. This
has frustrated the common man and that is why he said, he was
demanding Tanavade's arrest at Assembly complex which resulted in an
attack on me by BJP MLAs at the Assembly complex. With this strong
observation he declared "my demand to arrest Mr Tanavade is
justified".
Chodankar strongly demanded that the Chief Minister who is holding the
home ministry to make a note of the court observations on police in
delaying the investigation and not arresting the accused required in
the most sensitive forgery case wherein MLA Felipe Neri had to be
disqualified for nearly seven months and had to also resign as deputy
chief minister. He said, this is not the only fall out of the case,
what is more important is that the State government had to be
dismissed. Police deliberately never thought the urgency and the
seriousness of the case, he added.
Chodankar further said that it is high time that the chief minister
act tough to bring back confidence in the public about the police in
Goa.

--
Cheers,

Gabe Menezes.