|         New on Goanet's website's A&E section - http://www.goanet.org

|           Book in Review: A Kind of Absence - Joao da Veiga Coutinho        |
|                     POEM: SUSEGAAD - Cynthia Gomes James                    |

http://www.goanet.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=216

http://oheraldo.in/node/8733

3-day education conference

BY HERALD  REPORTER
PANJIM, JAN 16 – After achieving great strides in elementary
education, Goa is on the brink of kick-starting the process to
globalise secondary education.
In the wake of this new process, a three-day conference is being
organised in Goa from Tuesday) by the Council of Boards for School
Education in India.
As many as 70 delegates which include heads and representatives of 41
boards of  education and educationists are expected to participate in
the conference.
Chief Advisor of the Council of Boards of School Education, Professor
R H Dave   said, "The 21st century is the century dedicated to
universalisation of   secondary education and the process is being
started in Goa."
He said that Goa is leading not only in elementary education but in
secondary  education along with western region states and the thrust
of the conference   would be to further this and help central and
eastern States lagging behind to progress.
The suggestions and recommendations made at the three-day conference
will be   documented by the Goa Board and benefits from this will be
accrued not only by   Goa but the rest of the States in the country.
Professor Dave also said that the conference will help focus on how
best the  country could generate skilled work force, human resource
and accelerate growth for the purpose of equity and social justice.
It was also pointed out that the aspect of universalisation of
secondary education will focus on drop outs and highlight the
importance of a continuation   in education to higher levels.
He said, "At the national level, one-third of those who join school
proceed   for secondary education. We are now trying to see how we can
cover the remaining  two-thirds."

--
Cheers,

Gabe Menezes.