Hi Antonio,
Second question first: I lived in a Goan village (Aldona) from 1950-1961 (and
visited the place in later years).  Pre-1961, Aldona had no electricity (and
gadgets that depended on it), running water (flush toilets) or paved roads.  As
my mother would say Goan villagers "did not have a pot to piss in."  These
daily deprivations did not matter. We HAD Portuguese citizenship (humor with
sarcasm!).

What made the progress in Goan village life? IMHO, it is all the revenue that
Goa is earning from tourism. Recently I read about 5 crores will be spent in
Aldona in the next FY. I doubt Aldona generates that kind of revenue in taxes.
So Goans have to be grateful for the Golden Goose and take care of it.  Don’t
take it for granted and don't abuse it - Tourism I mean!!!

Pre-1961 the only revenue the Govt received was mine exports and the proud and
sacred "monthly remittances" of Diaspora Goans.  Goa was a negative balance of
payments for Portugal. So there were no revenues to improve Goa's dire needs in
spite of all the frequent speeches, good intentions and decades of "planning on
the drawing board."

Politicians and government, be they Portuguese or Indian do not generate or
print money; they only spread the wealth.
Kind Regards, GL

Antonio Menezes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

And so what one does think  made all this possible in a village.  Freedom and
democracy and its representatives like panchayat members, MLA s and MP s who
tried to provide the infrastructure.

Now a question  to all those Goanetters who had lived in a Goan village  during
the Portuguese regime  in the late forties and fifties.  Do you remember what
village life was  like and if so, compare it with todays  burstling life  of
any Goan village.