Mario,

I am confused! You write that my scepticism is understandable but yet you do not have any shadow of doubt regarding your earlier stance. Cast off your blinkers!!

I also suggest that you do a little reading of how the Egyptians embalmed their corpses.

I do not claim to be an expert in this field but there is a scientific study, the Quarterly Review of 1871, that has been published. I have managed to track down an original copy which was on sale and it is in the post to me.

Cheers,

Eddie Fernandes

Mario observes:

Eddie,
With all due respect to Mr. McCrystal and your
understandable skepticism, a speculative account
written 300 years after the event is hardly more
credible than the original version written by actual
observers.  I am not aware of any human corpse that
would not decompose in the tropical climate between
Japan and Goa in the hot and humid cargo hold of a
ship, in those days prior to refrigeration and
embalming.  Is such preservation were possible there
would be many such cases and the case of St. Francis
Xavier would not have been considered unusual.