Documented by Goa Desc Resource Centre (GDRC)
Website: www.goadesc.org Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Press Clippings on the web: http://www.goadesc.org/mem/
---------------------------------
Change Attitudes
---------------------------------
The recent Road Safety Week held last month appeared to be a success
at least judging by the turnout at the "Meet The People" sessions organized
with  GOACAN where the Civic and Consumer Forum of the village along
with the local school etc. had gathered for an interactive one to one session.

The organizers showed imagination in organizing different villages as venues
e.g. one from the North, one from the South, an island (Chorao) and a
developed tourist village like Calangute, especially as the perspective from
each is different. It was refreshing to see a change in the attitude in the
Traffic Cops from one of intimidation to that of an educator, explaining the
reasons of everything from wearing a helmet to the dangers of drunk driving.

People too responded to this change and realized that it was in their own
interest and safety to follow the law. I must say it is only such a changed
attitude on the part of enforcement, which will bring about behaviour change
in the general population which normally think the whole issue of helmets etc.
is just a game of "Catch me if you can", or a just revenue earner.

Another point raised was since most of our so called highways pass through
villages it would be really encouraging if each village came up with their own
Traffic Management Plan, which could be budgeted for the coming year,
in fact the SP promised to take their views into account.

Karl Pinto DeSouza, Moira
in a letter to the Editor
HERALD 13/02/06 page 8

GOA DESC RESOURCE CENTRE
Documentation + Education + Solidarity
11 Liberty Apts., Feira Alta, Mapusa, Goa 403 507
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
website: www.goadesc.org