I was surfing to get to know more about Hyderabad
(India).

And it appears that Goans are not the only ones
hurting or smarting over Nehru's military takeovers.

=====================
http://www.talkaboutinvestments.com/group/sci.econ/messages/201532.html

discusses about how the takeover of Hyderabad was
"concocted":

"False, except in the limited sense that "restoring
law and order" was always used as an excuse by
outsiders seeking to intervene; it omits who caused
the disruption in the first place. It's the sort of
excuse colonialists always used, e.g. in Andrew
Jackson's takeover of the Floridas. This one was known
as a police action for the same reason the Dutch
called what they were doing in the East Indies a
police action, using a loophole in the UN definitions
of illegal war to avoid outside criticism. " ...

"It is known that India routinely slipped infiltrators
across the frontier of places like Hyderabad, Goa,
Sikkim and so on - basically the sort of tactics
Germany used in the Sudetenland and Austria. These
infiltrators did NOT commit violence
themselves, they merely took non-violent tactics to
the point where ordinary government couldn't be
maintained (this was what the Germans did too, to
provoke frontier incidents "justifying"
intervention). "

An insteresting story by William Dalrymple can be
found at

http://www.travelintelligence.net/wsd/articles/art4print_832.html

Under the Char Minar

"The old man (Mir Moazam Hussain) settled himself back
in his rocking chair and shook his head, half amused,
half frustrated: "My grandchildren for instance. I can
see the disbelief growing in their eyes as I talk. By
the end - though of course they are much too polite to
say so - I can see they are thinking that I must be
either completely senile or completely mendacious. One
of the two. For them the old world of Hyderabad is
completely inconceivable: they can't imagine that such
a world could exist." "

"But I did believe Mir Moazam, for I had long heard
equally fantastical stories about the State of
Hyderabad. Years ago, Iris Portal, an old friend of my
grandmother, had told me a story I had never
forgotten: how one day in the late 1930's she had been
taken to see some of the Nizam's treasure which was
hidden in a secret vault in one of the palaces. This
was at a time when Iris's husband ran the staff of the
Nizam's younger son, and Iris had befriended his wife,
Princess Niloufer. "

Cheers,

Gabriel de Figueiredo.
Melbourne - Australia.

On Yahoo!7
Messenger - Make free PC-to-PC calls to your friends overseas.
http://au.messenger.yahoo.com