|                  Read V.M. de Malar's latest Column:                   |
|                          Politics of Destruction                       |
|     http://www.goanet.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=416

Dear Sir,

I would like to request you to kindly post my below writing on the internet on
goanews.com column.

I remain truely goan at heart and thanking you for this opportunity and
facility .

Thank you
Raul Carneiro
Tel. 00965  6427764.

This has reference to Mr. Godfrey J I Gonsalves comments

My intention of writing this is to express my opinion and urge people to write
the most appropriately specially in very sensitive cases, like the murder case
of the priest as it affects the community at large. Let the Truth be Truth.
let it come, but before it is systematically proven (of course sometimes truth
is difficult to come out or is not proven) or known to be true, we must show
restrain and not go to the extreme conclusions as some writers have gone to
blame the priest. WE DONT KNOW YET THE FULL TRUTH OR FACTS.

A shiver passed when we learnt that about 27 stabs were on the body of the
priest and that he was suffocated to death. Thinking how much he must have
suffered, how much helpless the priest must have felt on that ill-fated night
sends more pain to the mind and heart. God bless the soul of the 'priest'. We
pray to god for forgiveness and to show his mercy to Fr. Eusebio IF he failed
anywhere, if there were any weakness on his part and god bless his soul for the
services he rendered for the community. We have an obligation to pray for his
soul, irrespective of the priest's behaviour and what may have been. We dont
know the 'EXACT CAUSE' that triggered the 2 youth to go to such an extend of
ending life of another being. is there any justifiable reason to do what Amit
and Manish did ? even if the priest had made some mistakes, they could have
reported to Bishop house . The crime of murdering the priest is unforgiving and
unjustifiable. Imagine if all of us murder another person because that person
did not keep his promise or because  someone hurt us -- than we will find the
strets full of dead bodies everyday and we ourselves maybe murdered and may
not live to see even that.

There are two things that we (friends and myself) find strange about
the writing of Mr. Godfrey.

1. Why do you raise the question of lent season and priest giving food and
alcohol to non-christians at parochial house ?

Giving food, and even shelter to the 2 youths is a act of kindness. if the
priest found someone in need of help, and volunteered to help is it a bad
thing ?. we dont enquire or ask religion or caste to help someone in need. Of
course we need the know more about the relationship the between the priest and
the 2 youths. how long they knew each other, did they previously stayed
overnight with the priest ? did the priest lend them money ? or did they lend
money to the priest ? etc etc.

We dont know if the priest offered alcohol to the youths as mentioned in the
below article of Mr. Godfrey, or the youth brought the alcohol with them.
Maybe the police will confirm correctly ? even if the priest had beer along
with the youth irrespective of who brought it - I dont think it is a dreadful
sin. why do you start thinking that it is not in line with christian habits ?
WE ARE FORCED TO WONDER, how many times do we (people in the community and
specially those who raise the question about lent season and acceptable
behavious) or our family members go to help the priest or church activities ?
WE ALSO WILL BE PLEASED TO KNOW, how many things you do that does not bring
stigma to the community or what you do to bring laurals to your religious
community ?. It's easy to say this is not in line with religious dogmas and
that bring stigma  to community. When we lose someone from our family or loved
one, we know what is stigma and what is a fittness of things ( god protect
us and our fly members)

2. We understand and agree with you that goans should be preferably employed
by the priest/church in mess work etc.. But have anyone seen around ? how many
goans boys are willing to help the priest/church to do household work for the
salary that is presently offered ?. we know times have changed, economic
demands are more, goans are earning abroad like ourselves. If goans were
willing to do all the work for the amount of salary paid in goa, we would not
have many problems in goa. ( this can be a big debate )

Now turning to the real problem, Do you believe that the 2 youth killed the
priest because they drank for the 1st time and only 2 bottles ? why did two of
them come to meet the  priest at night (we understand priest knew one only,
and promised job for one only. Did they pre-plan the murder ? We will know
more after the finding of knife, ( is the knife from priest house, or did the
2 youth bring it along with them). Maybe there is more truth to come out. may
Truth always truimp.

We must learn from what happened. This is a lesson for us goans in general,
dont behave like pre 1980's or 1990's. we could trust anyone anywhere. be
careful whom you keep in your house for work, as tenants, as neighbours, dont
blindly trust your children with anyone etc etc...Also I would like to note,
that when people write to express our opinion we must be careful not to be too
subjective (where not needed), we must not put wrong doubt in people's mind
and create confusion and as it can distort ideas. I feel  Mr. Godfrey few
lines are on wrong footing, and must be prevented. Writers who write false
news with or without an intention (intention maybe difficult to prove)  must
be punished in some way – I hope atleast a few will agree with me. It appears
that they seem to misuse the opportunity of internet and 'freedom to
write' etc... thereby greatly affecting our 'freedom to know the truth'

 Once again, may god bless the soul of Fr. Eusebio Ferrao and give
strength to Bishop & Priest & religious helpers to do the kind work they do
and help us the common people to help the church and community at large.

Raul Carneiro
St. Cruz, India
now in Kuwait.

 love & happiness always