     Domnic Fernandes continues (Part II) his reminiscence of
                       Mapusa of the 1950s

  http://www.goanet.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=426
"There was a time when Hindus in Goa were (except for a tiny, rich
business-landlord elite) largely socio-economically poor. There are probably
reasons for this. Robert S Newman, the Marblehead-based anthropologist, says
Hindus were disallowed from even holding a simple schoolteacher's job in the
government till the Portuguese (more egalitarian) Republican Revolution of
1910. Hindu out-migration (abroad) didn't happen in large numbers as among
the Catholics too".

This is what Ricoh(FN) wrote. I beg to differ on at least a couple of
points. It was not only Hindus who were socio-economically poor but by and
large all Goans. The times were such. The schoolteacher's job was not a
"simple" one. It was a prestigious job then.Hindu out-migration did happen
in large numbers if one checks the number of devotees of many of the
deities(kul-dev) from the temples of Mardol, Mangueshi and others in the
Marcel area.
And one last thing. I think (many times he has referred to him) Robert S.
Newman has been overrated by FN. Otherwise I do have a high regard for Ricoh
for his independent unbiased and objective views.
R. Cabral