     Domnic Fernandes continues (Part II) his reminiscence of
                       Mapusa of the 1950s

  http://www.goanet.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=426
Here are some afterthoughts. As for hockey in Goa, it
was the late Aniceto Fernandes, founder of Goan
Sports, who formed and promoted both the men's and
women's association. One of the charges against him
was that he was based in Mumbai and running the sport
from Mumbai. However, it was Govind S. Waglo who more
or less looked after the administrative side.
Just to give the women's side, the players were not
happy with the state of affairs. They approached
Herculano Dourado to spearhead the opposition to the
office-bearers and probably also to take over the
association in the hope he would put the house in
order.  He couldn't do much because Shashikala
Kakodkar was the president of the women's association.
At least for some terms, the president of the men's
was the director-general or the inspector-general of
police, who is a freedom fighter and whose name
escapes me now.
It's ironic that Herculano is behaving more
"dictatorial" that Aniceto was. So just as others who
now want to kick-start hockehy in Goa and would also
probably like someone else to take over the reins,
they can't do much. Like Dourado is close to KPS Gill,
Aniceto was close to late Kartar Singh who domminated
India's women's hockey. In fairness to Aniceto, he did
give hockey a push in Goa. But things deteriorated
later on. Aniceto also played a big role in football
with his very close relationship with Ziauddin, the
AIFF secretary and also secterary of WIFA, and BM
Parkhot and Unni.
I met a couple of past women players and asked them
what they feel now that the man that wanted to change
the state of women's hockey has now ruined it. One of
them was silent and the other just nodded her head.
I have seen enough of Goa's sports, though not from
close quarters. I had often had quarells with both
Aniceto and Waglo. In fact, it was Kartar Singh who
ruined my relationship with Aniceto. I and Aniceto
never talked till his death. I paid a visit to his
house on the day he died and also attended his
funeral.
Coming to Dourado, I feel the man could be more suited
to sit on committees dealing with labour issues. But
like many politicians, they have their fingers in
different pies. In India, just as politics and
religion make a heady mix, politics and sports is
another giddy tonic.
The NRI associations in Goa and Goan groups abroad,
particularly in the Gulf, must demand a new set-up
under Eduardo Faleiro. An online petition is one best
way to start with. Since I hear of only one NRI
association in Goa, run by Jerome Mendes, it would be
nice if this body takes the responsiblity of posting a
petition on the www.petitiononline.com. I am ready to
draft one and sent to others who can want to take a
look at it and make the necessary suggestions before
posting it on the internet. Let's start the ball
rolling.

Eugene Correia