     Domnic Fernandes continues (Part II) his reminiscence of
                       Mapusa of the 1950s

  http://www.goanet.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=426
Vivian asked me in an email if I know of NRI
associations in Goa. I was told by Brig. D'Costa that
there are some associations but he mentioned Jerome's
association. Floriano has added to the information
that Rene wants or has started one and that Vivian may
be thinking of starting another one.
In an earlier post, Vivian said he is no longer and
NRI, having settled in Goa. I believe Vivian has tried
to find out about these associations but without
success.
I suggest he contact Brig. D'Costa or Dourado. Someone
on this forum requested for the emails of the three
NRI FC members, and I too would like to have them.
Perhaps, Wilson Coelho could provide Dourado's email.
Another point, I saw just a couple of netters replying
to my post on the NRI Dubai meet. So far, there's no
one who has either supported the idea of a petition to
the government to disband the NRI FC.
It's such apathy on the part of NRGs that the NRI FC
members take the NRGs for granted. NRGs should not be
differential to those in authority.
When the central government has bent over backwards to
meet most of the demands of the NRIs/PIOs, the
attitude of the Goa government needs to change. The
Kerala government often sends delegation to the Gulf
headed by a minister. Having attended a couple of
their meetings, the debate among the officials and
NRKs is tense and heated.
No doubt the NRKs have a large number in the Middle
East and a big economic force, the Kerala government
has little choice but to listen to them. The NRK
remittances to Kerala is much, much more than the NRG
remittances to Goa.
I don't know if there is need for an NRI association
based in Goa. Once the the NRI FC website is updated
and functioning, as Dourado promised he would do in a
short time, NRGs could send their complaints, problems
to the centre.
Dourado, however, said that for any news item or for
any NRG issue the website may receive thousands of
posts. He said there is no staff to handle it.
About NRI associations in Goa, there must be further
thinking. I hope others contribute to the debate.

Eugene Correia