 From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Subject: [Goanet] Excellencies!

<  At long last, 56 years after we adopted a Republican Constitution,
has the Bar Council of India realized the incongruity of adressing judges
in the Supreme Court and High Courts as "My Lord" and "Your Lordship",
when the First Citizen is addressed simply as "Mr.President".

However, the worthy representatives of this "Mr.President"in the
States continue to be addressed as "Your Excellency" - a clear
hangover from our colonial past! They should rightly be addressed
as "Mr.Governor" as is the practice followed in the U.S.A.>

Tonybab,

I agree with you.

However, Words/Semantics apart,  I wonder when we as a people will stop
treating the Politicians and
Ministers as "Gods".

I don't know whether it is a compliment to call the Indian Constitution...
Republican; I always hoped it
would be called Democratic (;-) .....but that is another matter. Don't want to
get some Righties too
aggravated this am. As it is .......!

Is this  symbolic change from "My Lord" to "Sir"  ...  really a change vis a
vis the colonial influence?

Really ?

Does the system of Law in India not reflect the Colonial system of Common Law
(Goa's additional
Roman Law having  been taken into account) ?

So ...what has changed ?

I submit to you that the most important change will come when the REAL owners
of a Democracy l stop
touching the feet and "worshipping" their Servants i.e. their masters i.e. the
Politicians.

Additionally, for Goa, the real change will only come (I submit)  when:

1: Decisions for and about Goa are made in Goa ......NOT in some distant city
( a la Lisboa antes de 1961
or New Delhi depois de 1961)

2: When "Loyalty" to what is fair and true will be held more important than
Loyalty to Religious or some other
organizational fanaticism.

3: When intellectual Goans accept the facts as they are,  and dissect out Fact
from Spin with uniformity of
application.

4: When Goa's Journos will provide Goans information sans "masala", and sans
the technique of JTR ie. the
Juxtaposition of Truth with Revision, or JTAB i.e. Juxtaposition of Truth with
Absolute Bondollam.

good wishes

jc