GOODBYE     "ME LORD"

I used to laugh  at  our lawyers adressing the judge  in court scenes in
Indian movies. It has taken 56 years for the Bar Councils  and the Judiciary
to drop these vestiges of the Raj. Now when will the rest go! The Governor
is still called your Excellency and his entourage, with a waiter, dressed in
starched uniform at public functions,  and the "Honourable" MLAs/Ministers
and so
on? When the first citizen of the country can be called, with all due
respect, as Mr President, why cant we do away with all these ridiculous
titles  and maharaja pomp  that demean the citizen? It gets jarring when
people doing "dishonourable" deeds  and some  even with criminal
records/cases filed against them are compulsarily referred to as honourable
so and so!

John Eric Gomes

Porvorim