Gulf News -- May 5

Rogue agents' racket must be broken, says Indian
minister
By Sunita Menon, Staff Reporter

Dubai: The nexus of dishonest agents extends from
India to the Gulf countries, said an Indian minister
yesterday.

"I am quite aware of how the unskilled and
semi-skilled Indian labourers are being duped by
dishonest agents. The first priority is to break this
racket. This can be achieved if governments of various
countries work in close cooperation," said Vayalar
Ravi, Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs, at a
luncheon meeting organised by the Indian Business and
Professional Group (IBPG).

An estimated 200 Indian businessmen and professionals
attended and interacted with the minister who is on a
three-day visit to the UAE. He praised the Indian
consul general Yash Sinha for his efforts here.

A four-page memorandum outlining issues like the need
for identity cards for Gulf Non-Resident Indians
(NRIs), return air tickets for stranded and destitute
NRIs against the deposit given to the Immigration
Department in India, and the need to launch a
self-employment scheme for Gulf returnees was also
presented to the minister by senior Indian businessman
and social worker, Bharatbhai Shah.

During his stay he will hold discussions with various
UAE ministers, the Indian diaspora, various Indian
organisations and the media.

Ravi said that there are an estimated 400,000 Indian
nationals who work as blue-collar workers in the Gulf
countries. "The priority of my ministry is to find
solutions to the problems faced by thousands of Indian
blue collar workers. I am aware of the helplessness
faced by an Indian labourer whose passport and other
documents are taken away from him by unscrupulous
agents the moment he gets out of the airport. I have
also received feedback on the issues faced by Indian
nationals by the Indian missions overseas," he said.

Answering a question about Indian labourers going on
the rampage, he said: "Violence of any sort is not
welcomed. The Indian workforce enjoys a reputation of
being peace-loving. The matter will be discussed with
concerned authorities in the UAE."

According to statistics provided by the minister,
licences of 120 agents were cancelled in the last
three years because of their bad records. There are
about 4,580 registered recruiting agents in India of
which 2,500 are in active business.

Regarding granting voting rights to Non-Resident
Indians (NRIs) in the Gulf, Ravi said that the Bill
granting voting rights is already introduced in the
Parliament. "Once the Bill gets cleared it will help
NRIs to exercise their right to vote provided they are
present in the country during elections," he said.