Mario observes:

Excellent points, Joe.  It always amuses me when
the
staunchest Portophiles and others on Goanet who
regularly call for GOA FOR GOANS and other
similar
sentiments do not live there, and probably never
will.
I hope they will at least buy some properties in
Goa
and keep these out of the hands of the dastardly
"foreigners" from India and elsewhere who have
"discovered" the beauty of Goa that Goans have
taken
for granted for far too long.

A few years ago I had met a wealthy Goan on the plane heading for Goa, who said that his heart yearns for Goa, but his wife for Switzerland. The couple had obviously been rancorously at rift whether to resettle in Goa or stay-put in their new-found-land “Switzerland.” I sympathized with the man who I was told made several trips to Goa, just to be in one in spirit with homeland Goa.

Goa is not what it used to be many years ago; its ambiance, its demographics and its culture is changing rapidly (and I can’t say it’s for the good). If any Goan who has his/her heart in the right place for Goa, will know that it takes more than mere words to set things in the right direction. Foreigners have come to appreciate Goa, where Goan’s have not.

Goans working in the Gulf and their seafaring counterparts may have invested in lands Goa, in-as-much-as they can, while noting that they already have ancestral homes and properties. Whereas, some of those who work back home may wish to buy more land mainly to build a home, —would those settled/settling abroad and selling their lands be willing to sell them at prices the local Goans can afford? I guess not. And I am not advocating that they should, because everyone who is selling is seeking a best possible offer, and amongst those that can afford that price tag are obviously non-Goans (or foreigners).

The foreign remittances by Gulf-Goans has helped coffer up significant amounts of funds in Banks that can afford loans to local borrowers. Apparently, those that are capitalizing on this opportunity are non-Goans who have set up their businesses, since they find Goa has become a good market, where Goans have the purchasing power, and most of the profits are siphoned off by non-Goans to their own states. Goans too must seize this opportunity (before it’s too late) and set up businesses so that the capital is circulated and remains within Goa, which would help raise Goan wealth.

Best,
Joe Vaz

"Thought is the blossom; language the bud; action the fruit behind it." -Ralph Waldo Emerson