Hi Cornel,

>From claiming that I said that I am, "denying that Hindu temples were
>destroyed during Portuguese rule in Goa" ,
Marlon switches his claim to, "deny the reality that churches were built on top
of destroyed Hindu temples!"

Contemporary historical accounts do document PORTUGUESE SOLDIERS destroying
Hindu Temple en mass.  There is even documentation of the name of the
Portuguese officer who led the night of the rampage.  We reviewed this in the
past, as being part of an invading army's attempt to land-grab, to later on
settle its own retired soldiers to form a new supportive community.

I still continue to request which SPECIFIC church(s) in Goa were built ON TOP
OF Hindu temples.  So if Marlon or Cornel or others has any DEFINITE evidence
(contemporary historical accounts OR archeological studies OR other dating
studies like temple art) within a church PLEASE PROVIDE. This rather than some
hand-me-down assertions a.k.a. grandma's kaneos or some accounts why this or
that place or event is superstitious.  Below is the post that I wrote. It is a
great pity (being polite) that Marlon reproduced only a selective quote of my
post (the last part of the post).

---------------
Retaining walls in Church

Gilbert Lawrence:
If you were building a house for yourself, (as I did) would you want a wall of
an old house (of uncertain building materials) maintained and be a small
component of the new house? And run the risk of collapse of the entire
structure at later date due to the unknown foundation? Or would it be a lot
easier for all involved and a lot safer to just build the new structure in-toto?
Is the astute observation a fact or a mind's eye?

Tariq:
When you are in a hurry to build a church or a mosque, and there are no bricks
or stones available, you typically use those from the temple that you
destroyed. I know of several mosques in North India, that used stones from
other temples. In some strange cases, the stones were brought from several
hundred miles away. But from what I read, it was a standard practice.

Gilbert responds:
Agree with Tariq's statement of using bricks from other buildings. It is common
that bricks, gold and other precious metals and precious stones etc, are
reused/ recycled. But the very act suggests that it is UNLIKELY THAT ONE IS
BUILT ON TOP of the other. Now there are always exceptions to the rule; but it
is not the practice.

For intellectual Goans to make blanket statements that this occurred is both
disingenuous and inflammatory or one is living in a make belief world of India.
Now that the issue is placed on the table (wittingly or unwittingly), let's
discus this rationally, logically and scientifically. And hope wild statements
do not come up again and poison the atmosphere in Goa or on Goan cyberspace.
-----------------

I thank Aurelius Figueredo for posting the other relevant links of what I
wrote.  To those who may have missed his post, here is the web links that Auri
posted which actually is a good revision of our dialogue two years ago. (March
2004).
The post is titled "Church built on temple?"
http://shire.symonds.net/pipermail/goanet/2004-March/011273.html
Here is one of Marlon's replies:
http://shire.symonds.net/pipermail/goanet/2004-March/011298.html
Here is another one of Gilbert's replies:
http://shire.symonds.net/pipermail/goanet/2004-March/011287.html

Since the above dialogue Miguel Braganza had a few posts on the Church in
Mapuca. Even with him writing a book on this church, he had no evidence that
the Mapuca church was built ON TOP OF a temple.

I thank Cornel for responding to my post and answering my questions. I am sure
he realizes that it would be a good practice for any author(s) to be up front
with "a full disclosure" on any given issue, especailly when they express a
contrarian view.  The discussion on this thread has moved far away from the
title of the thread. It now has become personal upmanship and rehashing of past
threads (with no new information) rather than on religious belief.  I hence
will consider this to be my last post on this thread.

I will be keen to read any resposne to the four issues that I posted in the
last post on "Goa importing poverty".
Regards, GL