For perhaps every "true fact" of the Middle Ages there are many of "Dan
Brown's" accounts, analysis, opinions and conjectures.
Recently I was reading a well-written account on the discrepancy between the Da
Vinci's Last Supper painting and the true account of the event (Passover
supper) per Jewish practices.  There were many interesting differences. Yet, I
was amazed that the most obvious fact was not mentioned.  Jesus Christ and the
apostles are presented in the painting as white men with many having blond
hair.  Yet we do not see any Mid-East / Palestenians today look like that. So
much for "true depictions" in what we see.

Also if anybody believes in the existence of the "Holy Grail", I may have a
bridge in Brooklyn that I would like to sell for very cheap.  The person could
become rich, by charging all the motorists using the bridge.  Please decide
before one reads the following.:=))

The "Holy Grail" (which now everybody knows about) has been one of the most
important Christian stories in England dating from a few hundred years after
Christ.  Many books, stories, cathedrals, abbeys and family trees in England
are based on this "Holy Grail". This even includes its linkage to King Arthur,
other knights, kings and English history. Yet now we know, the water from the
"Holy Grail" fountain in Glastonbury, is clear though it appears red as it
flows over the rocks (thus supporting the myth of the Holy Grail).  The TV
commentator states, "the water and the rocks are rich in Iron."

Hence we should be skeptical on rumors, beliefs and writings from the Ancient
and Middle Ages. In Goa, we call them Kaneos.  However many modern writings are
reproductions from or heavily referenced to Middle Age accounts. A good example
is the De Vinci Code. Other modern examples are some of the articles written on
the web on Goa during the Middle Ages. Hence SUBJECTIVE descriptions should be
taken with a large grain of salt.  This compared to texts that are factual and
describe OBJECTIVE findings. Some of these objective findings should still be
CORROBORATED to verify the authenticity of the original descriptions.  Or else
what we see and what they mean may be fictional and we do not want our
religious beliefs to be based on fiction.

Some on Goanet call the Bible fictional. And undoubtedly some texts in the Old
Testament are very simplified!  Because they have been written for the people
of the time that the texts were written. Common Sense! They are religious texts
and not scientific texts. The best example of such writings is the creation of
the world in six days; and the suggestion that the sun revolves around the
earth.  Yet many of the SAME individuals who call the Bible fictional believe
in accounts / hand-me-down stories /  kaneos / and other writings of the
Ancient and Middle Ages by individuals whose authenticity they / we know very
little.
Kind Regards, GL

------------- Aurelius Figueredo

Well it's also quite well known the during the early crusades in Europe, a lot
of "pagan temples" were destroyed and churches raised in their place.  The
reasons were varied of which this thread doesn't get into but it did happen.

In fact as Marlon stated, in some old churches eastern Europe, tourists have
actually traced the outlines of the "pagan temple" within the church.