On 19/06/06, Valmiki Faleiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Goa's other Films Fest & fruit Gene Bank

By Valmiki Faleiro

I had this aunt, T.Olinda, dad's unmarried sister. Green fingers, she raised
her own seedlings, made her own grafts. She used the bone of a particular
deer's antler to make the inverted-triangle incision in the mother tree and
anthill soil to 'bandage' her surgery - for success, she said. She counted
with pride at least 22 fruit varieties at any given time in the family yard …
pink Grape Fruit (Pomelo), half a dozen types of Lime, both varieties of
Chikoo and its cousin Adama (AdanvFoll in Konkani). A weakness for citrus and
sapota! Then there were mango and mulberry, cashew and coffee … the list is
long, but of course, coconut, of which she had one from Seychelles and another
that bore nuts 15 inches in diameter. All seeded or grafted with her own hands.

While building a new house, the trees were rampaged by an army of labourers
camped in the backyard. House now almost complete, I turned to the backyard. I
must restore at least 22 varieties. ............

Comment: Yes and when it is completed, please give us advance notice,
so that we may be able to attend the House Warming Party!
--
DEV BOREM KORUM.

Gabe Menezes.
London, England