Goans sing as Portugal advance to last four
Sun Jul 2, 2006 10:39 AM IST
By Sanjay Rajan

CALANGUTE, GOA, India (Reuters) - Residents in the western Indian enclave of
Goa took to the streets on Saturday night to celebrate Portugal's World Cup
quarter-final victory and the former colony is hoping the side can continue
their good run.

Portugal defeated England on penalties after a goalless stalemate in
Gelsenkirchen, Germany to advance to the last four of the finals for the
second time, the other in 1966 when their English hosts edged Eusebio's side
on the way to the title.

Goa became a Portuguese colony in the early 16th century after explorer
Vasco da Gama rounded the Cape of Good Hope to discover the sea route to
India in 1498.

The Portuguese rule ended in 1961 when Indian forces entered the coastal
enclave dotted with swaying coconut palms, but the state retains a distinct
Portuguese flavour, especially the love of soccer.

"I've been praying for Portugal to win over England," Sam Dias told Reuters
as he left to join his friends in celebration at the Calangute beach.

"My love for Portugal is not only because of our history, I just love the
way they play football, especially Luis Figo and Cristiano Ronaldo," said
the 17-year-old student, an avid footballer himself.

"Those were great saves by goalkeeper Ricardo."

For older residents like Antoni Jerome D'Souza, who remember the final days
of colonial rule and still speak a little Portuguese, the affection for the
Iberian side has more to do with history.

"We were under them and I remember those days fondly," said the 51-year-old,
who runs a beach resort.

"Our natures are similar I guess."

Monsoon showers have not dampened the enthusiasm as soccer clubs and resorts
have put up giant screens, much like during Euro 2004 when Goans congregated
and prayed for a Portuguese success and cried when the host team lost to
Greece in the final.

"I remember that night clearly," said Menico Goes Proecna, sipping rum in
celebration at the Calangute Association.

"Most of us went home depressed," the 54-year-old said, as youngsters
carrying Portugal flags screamed with joy.

"If I remember right, Portugal beat England on penalties then as well.

"I hope they go on to win the ultimate trophy this time. They played so well
today."

Portugal next play France in Munich on Wednesday, with the winner going on
the face either Germany or Italy in Berlin next Sunday.