Hi Gilbert
 I am afraid you are incorrect in your understanding of "ground realities"
especially when you use the word "caste"  entirely a misnomer in America, as
somehow equivalent to the concept of caste in India. Instead of your word
"caste" in America, the terms ethnic minorities, community groups,
hyphenated Americans, newcomers or even new social classes would definitely
be more appropriate in your hopeful search for an appropriate term to make
your point re America.

On another point, you seem to suggest, incorrectly that, lower caste groups
in India are happy to stay within  their low status position by wearing
caste on their sleeves, in clearly, your unmistakable apology for caste. The
very substantial literature on caste in India does not support your
commonsense view at all. There are several ways lower caste groups have
historically opted for mobility within the caste structure or endeavoured to
get out of  their caste groups. Minimally, if you read outstanding research
by Scrinivas you will note that  he has talked about intentional processes
like westernization, sanskritization and change of religion as means to get
out of the binds of traditional Hindu caste.

Others have been more radical politically and are treating caste and
casteism as racist on the global scene. They are making good progress even
though India,  refused, for now,  to admit casteism as racism at the last
international conference on racism (in 2004, from memory) held in Durban,
South Africa.

No Gilbert, the smart guys you so deride are much smarter than you think!
You have also persisted in repeating your erroneous view in this post, about
a relative static and unchanging caste situation in India.  So let me be of
some help re essential reading for you, from a small selection (non
alphabetically presented) of my books on caste from my home bookshelf. After
all, Goanet is a learning instrument:

Deliege R. (1999) The Untouchables in India. New York. Berg Publications.
Kothari R. (1991 reprint) Caste in Indian Politics. New Delhi. Orient
Longman Ltd.
Thapar R. (Eds) (1996 reprint) Tribe, Caste and Religion in India. New
Delhi. Macmillan Press.
Michael S. M. (ed) (1999) Dalits in Modern India: Vision and Values.New
Delhi. Vistaar Publications.
Sharma K.L. (1999) Caste and Class in India. New Delhi. Rawat Publications.
Charsley S. R. and Karanth G.K. (Eds) ( 1998) Challenging Untouchability:
Dalit Initiative and Experience from Karnataka. New Delhi. Sage
Publications.
Robb P. (1996) Dalit Movements and the Meaning of Labour. New Delhi. Oxford
University Press.
Sharma U. (1999) Caste.  Buckinghamshire, England. Open University Press.
Massey J. (1995) Dalits in India: Religion as a Source of Bondage or
Liberation With Special Reference to Christians. New Delhi. Manohar Press.
Ahmad I. (1978) Caste and Social Stratification among Muslims in India. New
Delhi. Manohar Press.

Finally, Gilbert, to make sense of how minorities adjust in their new
destinations of migration you will find the next two books particularly
illuminating. The first relates to the UK. The second, has excellent
historical material about what you call mainstreaming in the USA.

Eade J (1989) The Politics of Community: The Bangladeshi Community in East
London. Avebury Press, Aldershot, England.
Rex J. (1986) Race and Ethnicity. Milton Keynes, Open University Press.

Very best regards and hopefully, pleasant reading.
Cornel