wrt to this from me : [ An attempt to commit violence, is NOT equivalent to
having commited violence.]

Radhakrishnan Nair wrote :< Fantastic logic! It means God-fearing people may
attempt rape and
murder, but they won't actually do the thingy!

Try telling it in a court of law and see what happens!>

---jc's response---

Dear Mr. Nair,

>From the little I know about such matters, I will submit the following four
points wrt the "Court of Law":

1. In a court of law, an attempt to commit violence is NOT equivalent to
having commited violence.

2. In a court of law, it is highly unlikely that my above <<quoted by you>>
statement will be interpreted as meaning that " God-fearing people may
attempt rape and murder, but they won't actually do the thingy"

3. Even though "interpretation" of the intentions of Parliament (as in
enacted laws) is usually in the domain of judges,  I submit that most judges
will hold that (God Fearing or not) An attempted Rape or an attempted Murder
is NOT the same as Rape and Murder respectively. The Defendant could still
be charged for the ATTEMPT ....but not for the substantive crime of murder.

4. It is my understanding that In a court of law, for a charge of (say)
Murder to be brought about, there MUST be a Homicide -(no such situation
with Abraham/Isaac).  An ATTEMPT will NOT do.

I know that you will agree. If you do not, please do tell us why.

good wishes

jc

please visit "NEW" on The Goan Forum at http://www.colaco.net

Recommended Goa related sites