Do GOACAN a favour, circulate this email to your
family members, relatives, neighbours and friends.
Help others be BETTER INFORMED,
The time is come for the people of Goa
to ORGANISE not AGONISE !!
Documented by Goa Desc Resource Centre (GDRC)
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
------------------------------
Get the infrastructure
-----------------------------

Two people die of drowning at Varca and the authorities issue
a notice saying that people should not venture out into the sea
because of the rough weather and it goes on to add that due to
a paucity of lifeguards, it is risky to venture out to sea.

What is puzzling here is will a lifeguard be able to save someone
swimming in such rough weather and surely it is upto the authorities
to issue sufficient warnings that swimming in the monsoon is risky.
Why do we have to skirt around the issue blaming the lack of
lifeguards for such follies?

Very few people have realised that in our quest for tourism 365 days
a year the authorities have not taken into account a wide variety of
factors. Namely is tourism safe in Goa. We assume that just we
have declared open season on tourism everything is fine.

It is high time the authorities do introspection and realize there are
several lacunae. Namely when we sell Goa in the monsoon do
we tell the tourists it is unsafe to swim. Are there adequate boards
warning the people and are there sufficient people patrolling the
beaches to stop them.

During the tourist season do we take into account the traffic jams,
the lamani's and various other problems that crop up. Do we try
and solve them rather than let them fester and create a bad
impression on the tourists. It is no use passing the buck,
but we should look where we failed and try and rectify it
so these deaths do not occur.
Editorial in the HERALD 14/8/06 page 12

GOA DESC RESOURCE CENTRE
Documentation + Education + Solidarity
11 Liberty Apts., Feira Alta, Mapusa, Goa 403 507
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]