In a report in todays Times (England) by Jeremy Page the word Caste derives
from the Portuguese casta, meaning breed race or kind.I found this quite
interesting as I enquired sometime as to what makes us the way we are, the
Indian Gene or the Portuguese.In science within the Magnetic field like poles
repel and unlike poles attract, the cause of our people spending half their
lives fighting, fighting instead of looking at issues and finding soloutions.

Ever since independence in 1947 Indian Goverments have tried in vain to break
down the oomplex caste system which divides society into hereditary
heirarchical groups. Most Indians educational, professional and marriage
proposals are still determined at birth by their place in the hierarchy which
ranges from Brahmins at the top to Dalits, or untouchables at the bottom.
Despite the economic boom Indias cast system is becoming ever more entrenched.

Intercaste marriges have been permitted by  Indian law since 1955 and children
traditionally assume the fathers caste status one only has to look at the Goan
Village organisations around the world to understand this. In London  England
we have one Goan Community with over 50 Presidents representing us with /
witout any Constitutions Can we ever have a Soloution to unity.

Melvyn Fernandes
65 Windsor Road
Thornton Heath
England