I am neither a writer nor reader of Konkani. The
Konkani I speak, hybrid with Portuguese words,
strained to my regret and shame, is not even fluent
and easy. If a Konkani publication is gifted to me I
cannot understand most words in a sentence. Thus I
must be considered as a person with no bias, in favour
or against of the subject of script of the Konkani
language now in turmoil.

Presuming that the eminent priests Fr James Couto,
teacher of Konkani at the Saligao Seminary, Fr.
Mousinho de Ataide, Professor of Canon Law at the
Rachol Seminary, Fr. Lino Florindo, Professor and Dean
of Theology, Pilar Seminary and my friend Fr. Moreno
de Souza, editor of Konkani Roti thus most affected in
the script and who must have learnt Konkani in Roman
script, feel and support Nagri script and that the
official language Act should be left untouched, is a
matter that deserves serious attention of the Roman
script apostles.
Thinking and highly educated persons such as Tomazinho
Cardozo and Wilson Mazarelo must not be moved by
emotion but by the point the others have made about
the Nagri script, bringing Hindus and Christians
further together, their existing oneness being the
trump card of Goa, cherished by the people of Indian
and the Central Government. Prince Jacob may be very
popular Konkani playwright and actor but can he claim
to be an intellectual like the above mentioned
priests? His threat to the Government would have been
justifiable if the Government had prevented the
tiatrists from functioning.
Use of Roman script is not banned. Besides, only a
section of the population is tiatr aficionados. Not
the majority. And in what script the much revered
Shenoi Goembab whose memory is celebrated every year
by great éclat, must have written? Certainly the
demand of the Roman script writers for equal
assistance financial or technical has legitimacy and
thus deserves support of all.
But this is another matter. The Roman script adherents
must also think of the future. Their children who have
now learnt the Nagri script in schools will write
plays and songs in this script. It is with pride and
affection that the Konkaniwadis embraced the Konkani
speakers of Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, each
writing Konkani in the script of their mother tongue.
They now support Nagri for Konkani for greater
expansion. This must not be overlooked.
Government must remain firm and not give in to street
hooliganism. The tiatrists must know or shown their
place.