There has been no mention in Goanet of the passing away of Fr. Stan D'Souza
earlier this month in Belgium.

The tribute paid to him by his brother Archbishop Henry D'Souza is given below:

S. K Dhoot
---

Tribute to Fr.  Stan D’Souza s.j

By Archbishop Henry D’Souza

Stan lived in a world of his own, which most of us never experience. It was a
world of ideas, ideologies and policies. His mathematical expertise had
qualified him to enter into the field of demography. The UN picked him up and
was deeply impressed by his research qualities and total integrity. It
appreciated deeply his acceptance of hard living conditions and his readiness
to tour in far-flung and even dangerous terrain. The UN posted him to frontier
countries, difficult of access as Afghanistan, or in areas where reliable data
were not easy to get.

He would particularly recollect his stay for 5 years in Afghanistan, where he
was the only priest with 3 other Catholics (all sisters) in that vast country.
He toured extensively among the warring tribes and picked up demographic data
so essential for UN policies.

His posting to Bangladesh gave him the opportunity to begin a Jesuit presence
in that country. He made the first Bangladeshi recruit for the Society of
Jesus.

Stan retired from UN service after 15 years and was a pension holder till his
death. He however remained a true Jesuit all through his long UN career. He
would always stay in Jesuit communities, if they existed in the areas of his
work. Otherwise he would rent very modest lodgings, in spite of the rather
high UN position he was holding in the country. He lived a life of practical
poverty, choosing to walk rather than to ride; preferring to go by a lower
class rather than accept the comfort of an upper one.

Once when I was in Rome, I met  Fr Kolvenbach, the  General of the Society of
Jesus. He said to me: “Stan is a true Jesuit. I wish that we had more of them
in the society”.  He was very supportive of the work done by Stan and his
tribute for his Golden Jubilee  in 2004 read: “I recall with joy and gratitude
the many important apostolic tasks that have been entrusted to you in these
fifty years, your deep Jesuit spirit of availability to go wherever  the
greater glory of God  and the service of people needed you most, and your
truly outstanding performance in all these varied assignments in the field of
demography. Paying special attention to the worldwide problem of poverty, you
have rendered great services to the UNO , to various other international
agencies, to the Society and to the Church. With the IPC (International
Population Concerns) you have also led the way on the path of networking as a
tool ever more necessary nowadays, for sharing more widely the fruit of
research.”

Stan lived abroad most of his life, but he did not forget his natural family.
He made great efforts to meet them wherever he went. Our family is now
scattered over the Continents, Canada and the USA, and India to Australia. His
annual visits to Calcutta were days of systematic visiting to the family
members. Neither did he  forget the Calcutta Mission.  He would go long
distances at great sacrifice to visit the mission stations in Midnapore,
Hooghly  and 24 Parganas districts. He did what he could to get funds for
their projects. He also cheered and encouraged the personnel in the areas.

Stan lived in Belgium from the time of his theological studies and Belgium has
been his base for the past decade after his retirement from the UN. I am
deeply grateful to the Rector and Community of St Ignace for their kindness to
him and their support especially during the recent months of his illness. I
have also to thank Madame Wilmot and her family in a special way. They have
befriended him for the time of his ordination and over the years have made him
part of their own family. I am also grateful to many other Belgian families of
our missionaries in India, as the de Cocqs, who offered him their loving
support.

Stan has gone. He lived a life of great asceticism and commitment.  His
loyalty and affection for the Society of Jesus was always evident. To us his
family, he was a concerned brother, uncle and friend. He died, as he would
have wanted to- without giving trouble to any one.

When Fr Huart came to give the news, I was saying my breviary. I stopped to
receive the news. After Fr Huart left, I picked up the book to continue my
prayer. The words before me were those from Revelation “They will see the Lord
face to face, and his name will be written on their foreheads. It will never
be night again and they will not need lamplight or sunlight, because the Lord
God will be shining on them” (Rev. 12/4-5) (Evening Prayer II of Sundays) I
was deeply consoled and continued to pray “Into your hands Lord, I commend the
spirit of Stan. May he rest in peace.