Enjoy your holiday in Goa. Stay at THE GARCA BRANCA from November to May
         There is no better, value for money, guest house.
              Confirm your bookings early or miss-out

Hi Vece and Balbir Singh-ji,

As I was researching hockey team formations today, former German coach Host
Wein, seemed to justify the 4-2-3-1-1 system as a solution to the tremendous
pressure put on the  Center-Half in 5-3-2-1 system in carrying out his dual
responsibilities of marking the opposing Center-forward  and controlling the
middle flank of the field. How did you and Ajitpal Singh manage these dual
responsibilities in the 70s ? You guys tended to dominate the mid-field.

Horst Wein justified the 4-2-3-1-1 system by saying that the center-half's
distribution responsibilities under the new system were  now divided between
two mid-fielders. According to Horst Wein "under the new 4-2-3-1-1 System,
the Center Forward must be pulled back(to Center Back) and take on the task
of marking the opposing CF, whereas the Center-Half (as sweeper) now freed
from this duty operates from behind the rest of the defense and blocks the
most direct path to goal"

I still feel that offense is the best form of defense - The 5-3-2-1 system
has given us 8 Olympic Gold Medals and our forward line appears to be
formidable and balanced with 5 forwards. What is your opinion ? Please give
me your views on the roles of the midfielders and the advantages and
disadvantages of these two systems. I always thought that our
inside-forwards fell back as and when necessary to help out the midfield
when defending.

Balbir Singh-ji I would like your perspectives too from that of a CF in the
traditional 5-3-2-1 Indian Team and that of a coach dealing with the 4-2-3-1
System followed by opponents.  What modifications do you both think  we
should make to deal with the 4-2-3-1 formation teams ? Do you favour
man-to-man marking or a zone-wise marking system wen playing with the with
the 5-3-2-1 formation ? Please advise.

Best Regards,

Dr. Carmo D'Cruz,
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida