HEART-TO-HEART

By Ethel Da Costa

Give Back When You Receive

There was once a huge dragon in China who went from village to village
killing cattle and dogs and chicken and children indiscriminately. So the
villagers called upon a wizard to help them in their distress. The wizard
said, "I cannot slay the dragon myself for, magician though I am, I am too
afraid. But I shall find you the man who will."

With that he transformed himself into a dragon and took up position on a
bridge so everyone who did not know it was the wizard was afraid to pass.
One day, however, a traveler came up to the bridge, calmly climbed over the
dragon and walked on.

The wizard promptly took on his human shape again and called to the man,
"Come back, my friend. I have been standing here for weeks waiting for you!"

The enlightened know that fear is in the way you look at things not in the
things themselves.

The Prayer Of The Frog by Anthony de Mello.

Years ago, when my dad sat me down for a chat; you know, just as you're
setting foot into a canoe in untested waters wearing rose petals on your
eyes, he let me know one simple value: No matter where you go, remember
where you come from. Brushing it aside then as old-world worn-out
philosophy -- because I could never figure out why he chose to come back to
his village, and not some fancy town, after years being abroad -- his simple
wisdom holds me in good stead today, as I watch Goa racing on her way to the
finish line. Most times, as I watch unfamiliar faces digging Goa for the
goldmine of opportunities, while Goans still struggle waiting to be
recognized for their potential. People who come and go, sing for a living,
or write for the soul. Make music, live their aspirations and march on into
another abode. Unsung heroes, unrecognized heroines, prodigies that might
have been, but never discovered. The wasted Booker Prize because of a lack
of self faith. The lost Pulitzer Prize because we never dared. No run for
the Grammy because we didn't work or try hard enough, or worse, even cared.
Wasted chances waiting for the big break, while ignoring the grind of small
opportunities to refuel ambition as stepping stones. Would be winners who
gave up half-way, boggled by criticism because their self-worth depends on
what others have to say, but listening to their own voices. You meet them in
the market. You share shoulder space in the bus. Drinking themselves silly
at a party, or wasting their dreams on Ecstasy.

Life's greatest journey begins when you face fear and deal with it, Bono
reminds. Even as I shun funerals and weddings in the same order, even as
death and divorce jostle for elbow space. The fear of the unknown sometimes
shackles our feet. `What will others say, huh'? And there goes a career that
would have been as an actress, rock star, rocket scientist?

But life stops for nobody. Old faces you bumped into and took for granted,
because they were always around. August Braganza, Manoharao Sardessai, Umesh
Mahambre, Anuj Joshi . people I knew and grew up with. My father, steady as
a rock, silent as the wind, whose presence after four years I still miss
dearly. Suddenly you grow up, you realize time is running out, you realize
you've wasted precious moments `faffing' around the place, keeping company
with mindless chatter, directionless people, ego-trippers, losers or
`back-pack' riders when you could put talent, gifts and strength to test.
Far too many young people are wasting their time wanting to walk in someone
else's shoes. What about setting benchmarks, breaking a few rules? And then,
go ahead, break more rules and write your own. But, above all, live without
fear, of having tried even in the face of failure. Where are these
idealistic dare-devils?

Dr Judea Pearl, father of slain American journalist Daniel Pearl, has me
believe that fear has no place in the abode of angels. "Heaven is getting
slippery," he warns me repeatedly, on our long email chats, "so girdle your
spirit for more challenges," he adds. Even as he looks forward to the film
production of  `A Mighty Heart,' on his slain son, while in Goa my band
mates plan the musical composition of  our song, `Danny Was Murdered,'
commemorated to the politics of world peace. I meet many people who
constantly complaint the raw deal Goa gives her young citizens. Instead, I
would like Goa's young people to try hard and never give up. I laugh when
people waste precious time debating who will fill up Remo's well-worn and
well-earned shoes, when bands, singers and artists work hard to make their
own mark, their own music, their own brand, while we're busy looking to the
West for heroes, failing to give recognition where talent deserves, when
they are alive. Ordinary people with extraordinary talent, with hunger in
their bellies, we need to cheer them on. And support, if we can't rise up to
give the shoulder.  It is this talent that Goa must invest in. Polish,
shape, hone and present to the world. Pick them up, dust the struggle off
their shoulders and make use of our privileged positions, chairs and
networking to create spaces. When the voices gather momentum, even the
mighty begin to quake. Let's give the powers-that-be a run for their money.
Only then, the yesteryear trailblazers of Goa would have rested a peaceful
journey.  (ENDS)