Old heritage wine in new bottles
Indo-Asian News Service

Jaipur, Oct 10 (IANS) Replacing boring glass with ceramic in enticing
colours and designs, the Rajasthan government will soon launch its
'Royal Heritage Liquor' in new bottles.

The Ganganagar Sugar Mills (GSM), which will launch the heritage
liquor in a new avatar, will also package a small history with each
bottle.

"Packing the liquor in ceramic bottles is completely a new concept. We
expect that this will not only increase the sale of the liquor but
also be a collectible item," said O.P. Yadav, GSM general manager.

"Liquors would be packed according to their taste. The colour and
designs of the bottles would be different as per the brand of the
liquor," he added.

Chandrahaas, for instance, belonging to the erstwhile Kanota rulers
will have the photograph of the Kanota palace on its bottle, while Jag
Mohan and Kesar Kasturi from Jodhpur royalty will carry pictures of
the Umaid Bhawan Palace and Mehrangarh Fort on its bottle.

Launched earlier this year, heritage liquor, which uses 84 spices and
herbs and are based on old recipes, are fetching good demand both in
India and abroad, said Yadav.

"By launching these liquors, we have tried to cash in on the heritage
and royal quotient. We want liquor connoisseurs to be reminded of
Rajasthani principalities, whenever they see or drink this liquor."

"We so far have recipes of five liquors - Kesar Kasturi, Jagmohan,
Chandrahaas, Mawalin and Saunf (Mehensar) - from different
principalities," he added.

The prices range from Rs.350 to over Rs.2,000 for a 750 ml bottle.