Johnson (Joaozinho) and his Jolly Boys undisputedly held the music
stage in Goa for many years - pre-Potuguese as well as after 1961.

Here was Goan dance music at it's most entertaining. He must have been
good at music or else his would not have been the pre-eminent dance
band of Goa at that time. I cannot comment on the  music quality
itself as I have no professional music background but as a teenager
and young adult enjoying his Portuguese and Goan style music I saw no
parallel.

His band members were salt-of-the-earth Goan. They were probably all
village Church maestro taught, but boy could they make people dance.
As Mervyn and Cornel mentioned about the Goan bands playing on the
Mombasa-Bombay trip, Goan bands get better as the evening progresses.
I remember vividly a family relative and icon on the Margao Club
Harmonia scene of that time, Emilio Alvares, giving Johnson the
necessary push to quicker step. That meant passing a feni or whisky
bottle to the band on stage diring the breaks. Emilio, would start off
by telling Johnson "arre Joaozinho, kitem re, kai fuski nam tujem
muskan (Come on Johnson, there's no bite to your bark). Whereupon
Johnson would make a wry face giving the necessary indication that the
band needed 'gasoline'. One botlle and the tempo would decidedly
change. The music got quicker, the beat more lively and the
improvisation climactic. After that there was no holding back. One
more botlle more improvement and so on.

I remember there was a blind guitarist in the Band from Assagao. I
knew this because my Dad would step up to him and talk about
Socolvaddo  and how things were since his last trip to Goa. Then my
dad who would make a good twosome with Emilio, would supply more
bottles and add to the fun. The crowd would tire out at about 7 am
with the activity of the entire night, but Johnson would not. He had
to be persuaded to finish off and play his last piece which would
inevitably be "Good Morning, Good Morning, ...)" The neighboring cocks
heralding the morning on one side and the band in full belt on the
other. Oh, what a scene - only in Goa.

Johnson after 1961 got some competition with the Tuna Sparks, an
upcoming group that relied on electrical instruments rather than wind,
brass and persussion. They were good but with the electricity going
off every few hours, they were no competition to Johnson who having no
electrical necessity whether of instrument or amplification, other
than the electricity provided by alcohol which was never in short
suppy, always triumphed.

Roland.