Selma changed the Subject of this thread to "Re: Divorce in Goa and
India" when it was actually "Initiating, Participating and Soapboxing".

At no previous time was 'India' mentioned in Selma's original
bombastic statements. The devious attempt to insert a "Re" and change
the Subject Line has been noted. How a "Re." Could suddenly appear
when there was no such Subject quoted earlier is very interesting.
Was it a deliberate attempt to include India in the debate?

Coming back to the matter at hand. The statements by Selma that I
found contentious, I repeat, are:
"The divorce rate in Goa is spiraling. Extra-marital and pre-marital
sex is as frequent and prevalent as anywhere in the West."

In support of her statements Selma earlier said:
"However, just for fun I did google divorce,
pre-marital and extra-marital sex in India and Goa.
There were so many links that popped up, I couldn't
decided which one to post so I suggest you google for
yourself."

When challenged on the existence of these 'many' links of which she
speaks here are the 'many' links Selma quotes in defense of her
ridiculous statements.

1) http://www.hinduonnet.com/folio/fo9909/99090360.htm
This is an article by Sabita Radakrishna titled "Marriage in a
Crisis" that appeared on the Sunday Magazine (Sept 12) of The Hindu
in 1999, which is seven years back. It talks about the institution of
marriage in India and there is no reference to Goa or Goans.

2)
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/mp/2002/09/23/stories/2002092300290200.htm
This is an article by Thara Mohan Rao in The Hindu dated 23rd
September 2002 titled "Why is the divorce rate climbing up?". Again
this is about India in general and there is absolutely no reference to Goa.

3) http://in.rediff.com/getahead/2005/mar/23youth.htm
An ANI (March 23 2005) report about "Premarital sex high among youth
today". Again absolutely no mention of Goa.

I don't see any spiralling other that Selma going around in circles.
So far Selma has failed to show us the 'many' links that popped up
when she used Google to prove her statement about divorce and
extra-marital sex in Goa.

----------

Let's go to her other arguments:

Selma says:
"In addition to this the ecclesiastical authorities in
Goa frequently put out literature on the spiraling
rate of divorce."

Cecil:
I would like to see names and dates and publications. I don't read
many ecclesiastical publications but the few I do chance upon have
never mentioned any spiralling rates.

--------

Selma writes:
"Infact, in Goa a very curious fact
occurs with Catholics. Goans seek an "annulment" from
the Bishop, which enables them to remarry in Church.
So, divorce statistics are suppressed among Catholics
and in actual fact are higher than stated."

Cecil:
To the best of my knowledge 'divorce statistics' would mean 'legal'
divorces as the church does not recognise divorce. To get remarried
one would need to get legally divorced too, in addition to a church
annulment. So how exactly church annulments serve to suppress divorce
statistics is beyond me. Is Selma suggesting a Goan Catholic can get
his marriage annulled by the Church and re-marrry without going
through a legal divorce?

--------

Selma writes:
"For one thing, a few months back the Goa government
was trying to institute a law for mandatory HIV
testing before marriage. The reason for this was
pre-marital sex, usually by the male partner, who then
carried the disease to his unknowing partner. A lot of
this pre-marital sex takes place with prostitutes who
are at risk for HIV and other STDs.
The same is true of extra-marital sex. Men visiting
prostitutes carry the HIV virus to their wives. Unlike
the west, where the HIV virus is more likely to be
transmitted male-to-male, in Africa and Asia, the
transmission is more likely to be male to female."

Cecil:
Thanks for the education Selma I never would have known that AIDS
transmission through homosexuality is more prevalent in the west than
in Asia. How exactly all that proves your statement about Goa, that
"Extra-marital and pre-marital sex is as frequent and prevalent as
anywhere in the West" is again beyond my comprehension. In fact you
are making it clear that sexual habits in the West are different from
those in Asia.

----------

Finally some statistical quotes from Selma:
"The all India occurrence of STDs in the age group of
18 to 30 is as high as 48 to 52 per cent!
~ Premarital sex among 18- to 20-year-olds in metros
is as high as 65.6 per cent amongst girls and 63.3
amongst boys.
  Extramarital affairs amongst married couples in the
age group of 18 to 30 is as high as 10 to12 per cent.
Post-30, this figure increases due to the onset of
boredom in marriages.

Cecil:
Very interesting statistics. Where exactly is Goa mentioned? Where is
the comparison to the West?
I cannot make a statement, for example, that rape is on the increase
in Sanquelim and post-marital sex on the decrease in Dona Paula and
when asked for proof I quote all-Goa statistics which nowhere
specifically name Dona Paula or Sanquelim. This is absurd!

---------

Selma:
In addition to statistics and links to articles, the
best evidence I have is empirical based on confidences
shared and observations made.

Cecil:
One definition of 'empirical' is "verifiable or provable by means of
observation or experiment". Till now nothing you have presented is
empirical, taking into consideration the original statements you are
trying to defend. In fact another word for 'confidences
shared and observations made' is gossip!

----------------

Selma:
If you wish to continue splitting hairs you are
welcome to do so but I'm afraid I have neither the
time nor the inclination to indulge in such bait
games.

Cecil:
I am not playing games Selma nor do I wish to split hairs, and I too
have a busy life of my own . I have successfully proved now and
before that sometimes you make dramatic statements about the
situation in Goa without having an inkling as to the true picture. If
you want to make, for audience effect, nonsensical statements about
international politics or philosophy or religion or whatever I
wouldn't care less. But when you make absurd statements about the Goa
I love and where I live I have to intervene and set the records straight.

Divorce rates in Goa are probably on the increase but to state that
they are spiralling is to give an unnecessary dramatic twist that
gives a different picture. Extra and pre-marital sexual activities
are probably in the increase in Goa too but I doubt that they are in
any way dramatically different from the rest of India and definitely
are nowhere on par with the west.

If your intention was just to draw attention to your fine voice
Selma, you have definitely succeeded. But the best voice falls flat
if not backed with thought and knowledge.

Cheers!

Cecil

======