Hi Roland,

It is a bit extreme to brand all Portuguese Red wines(Vinho Tinto) as being
of no consequence in taste or bouquet. The problem is that the Portuguese
wines that are exported to other countries (the most famous one being Mateus
Rose) are generally of the worst quality and are more suited to cooking! The
Red Wines from the Alentejo region in Portugal are definitely comparable to
the best Riojas from Spain, it would be rare to come across them anywhere
but a speciality wine store.

The Germans do the same with their beer, they keep the best for themselves
and export the rest. It is nearly impossible to get Augustiner or Hofbrau
outside of Germany though these are the local favourites in Munich(missing
from Gabe's wonderful list of beers!).

Regards

Sunith Velho

Roland writes:
With regard to Portuguese Moscatel, Grandjo and Tinto they being not
available in the Gulf liquor stores, it wasn't until I came to Canada that I
saw they are really of no consequence in taste, bouquet or by most other
wine standards. The Ports and Sherrys from Portugal and
Spain are world class though I suspect the brands of these two fortified
spirits available in Goa were far inferior to the norm.