Hear! Hear!! For God´s sake pray Hear!!!

AT

From: "Fernandes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <goanet@goanet.org>
Subject: [Goanet] Goans VS East indians of Bandra
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 00:19:50 -0500

Dear Goanetters,

This mail is with reference to the spate of balderdash being posted by the
apparently erudite and controversy loving Dr. Carmo D'Cruz on the absolutely
superfluous debate, Goans VS East Indians of Bandra.

I too am a Bandra boy and a proud Stanislite (batch of 1971). I too played
hockey (Mama Mia, also as a Goalkeeper). Cedric D'Souza and I were
contemporaries in College and needless to say both competing for the
goalkeeper's post. He also coached me for a team called the Hill Road Boys.
Hillary Gomes (Timmy ) was my senior, his sibling Clarence was my
contemporary. They have a more famous cousin , Marcellus Gomes who played
for India with distinction. Francis D'Mello the first Indian school boy who
played in the 1st  Hockey World Cup of 1971 in Barcelona, was my class
mate.That much for my humble credentials, which is just to make a point to
the good Doctor, that I do know what I'm talking about.

I would like to put on record once and for all, that I have never
encountered any so called rivalry between Goans and East Indians. In those
halycon years of our youth, caste and community hardly mattered. You played
to win, you played tough. You learnt to take the smooth with the rough.
That's it. Till today I'm quite ignorant of the fact whether so and so
player was an East Indian, Goan or a Mangalorean. It hardly mattered. So I'm
really at my wit's end trying to make some sense of this senseless mythical
debate. Let's give it a decent burial. There is far too much of communalism
in this beloved country of ours, let us not add to the poison, rather seek
mitigants. Dr. Carmo please stick to your mission to improve Indian hockey
with Balbirji. We will all pitch in, in this noble endeavour. Viva.

Edwin Fernandes
Proud Stanislite,  prouder to be a humble Indian