 2006 * * * Y  E  A  R * * * O  F * * * T  H  E * * * S  E  N  I  O  R
Goa Sudharop Annual Awards on November 20, 2006 @ Mandovi Hotel @ 4:30pm
            Chief Guest: Dr. Asha Vishwanath Sawardekar

    A series of essays as a tribute to Goan Seniors can be found at:

     http://www.goanet.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=524
Dear Basilio,
The Goa CM has requested me to reply to you acting purely as a Devil's
Advocate (the devil being Pratapsingh Rane), in which capacity I ask
you the following questions:

1. Since Konkani in the Roman script is written phonetically, it
follows that anyone knowing English could write it. Then, why the fuss
about Devnagiri.

2. Will it not be useful to our children, Catholic, Hindu or Muslim to
learn the Devnagiri script in which India's official language Hindi is
written.

3. If there is popular will to use Konkani in the Roman script, it
will continue to be used, no matter that Devnagiri is mandated by the
govt, will it not ?

4. If you do not know Devnagiri or prefer to use Roman in your own
Konkani writings even if you know Devnagiri, you can please continue
to do so from Spain without bothering about this controversy in Goa.

5.  As for Roman being the right script for our cyber-age, I totally
agree. However if you write Konkani in Roman and people in cyberspace
don't know Konkani, does it really matter in which script you write.

6. You say the Roman script has a long history in Goa. That would make
it a history of about 500 years. I wonder what script was used for
Konkani before that.

7 If you think I am going to spend my chief ministership trying to
Romanize other Indian languages as you suggest, you ought to have your
head examined.

8. I don't think Konkani is the only Indian language that uses the
Roman script. I would suggest you take into consideration all the
North-Eastern - Assamiya, Naga, Mizo, Manipuri, Khasi and similar
languages - which also are written likewise.

9. The fact that you treasure Konkani over English, Spanish,
Portuguese and German is neither here not there as far as my chief
ministership is concerned.

10. Must I mollycoddle the minority Catholic community who prefers the
Roman script at the cost of the majority Hindu community who prefers
Devnagiri. I am not taking away the rights of the Catholic community.
As I mentioned, they can continue to use the Roman script as they wish
to, except for official purposes. The Catholics are Indian aren't
they? Devnagiri is Indian, Roman is not.

11. Finally on a personal level you call me intelligent while also
then sarcastically mentioning my "repeated chief ministership may soon
be forgotten". Are you trying to praise me and then insult me or both
simultaneously.

Yours very truly,

Repeatedly Chief Minister Pratap Rane.