 2006 * * * Y  E  A  R * * * O  F * * * T  H  E * * * S  E  N  I  O  R
Goa Sudharop Annual Awards on November 20, 2006 @ Mandovi Hotel @ 4:30pm
            Chief Guest: Dr. Asha Vishwanath Sawardekar

    A series of essays as a tribute to Goan Seniors can be found at:

     http://www.goanet.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=524
so there is nothing being repeated here that is private.

---------
It started off with Sylvia Campos posting:

Dear Netters,

I am based in the Gulf and require an email address for placing an advert in
the local Goa newspapers. My advert is "HOUSEMAID REQUIRED".

While on the subject let me inform you of the right person I am looking for.
Perhaps you know of someone in need of a maid's job. Requirements as follow:

- very simple, lady
- should be 30+ years in age
- must be her first visit to the Gulf
- should be able to take care of kids
- full knowledge of cooking
- must be a Catholic
- the normal housework: cleaning, dusting, washing, etc
- this is a live-in job so the maid will stay with me and receive her 3 meals
- Salary: Rs.5,000/- (based on certain conditions)

If you know of someone that fits the above description, would appreciate a
her and take it further.

If the lady you know is lacking on any of the above points, it can be
discussed.

Thanks for your help.

Sylvia
(Kingdom of Bahrain)

------
Followed by this from Anto:

These Christian people earn their salaries in Dinar's and pay for their
maids in Indian rupees that is the reason they require first time visitors
for exploiting.
Dirty Goan people with lot of sheet in their heart.

-------

And this from Clinton Vaz:

Dear Anto & Sylvia,

It would seem so, but just so that the point is clarified, I'd like to ask
Mrs. Sylvia Campos to explain two questions before we judge her:

Why should the prospective maid be a first time visitor to the gulf?

Considering that the maid would be away from her family, in an unknown land,
working full time, including weekends, do you think it would be fair to pay
her Rs. 167 per day (@Rs5000/month) and still impose further conditions?

Here in Margao, a kundbi bhadela (temporary woman worker) is paid Rs. 160
per day for 6-7 hours of work, men are paid Rs. 180. In Panjim, temporary
waste management workers are paid Rs. 3,800/month, plus allowances, bonus
and extended breaks in between the day. Considering that these people are
paid among the lowest in Indian standards, I should think that you would be
unfair to a prospective maid unless you justify the questions posed to you.

Clinton..

--------

And this from Savio Figueiredo:

Dear Sylvia

Please revert about othere terms such as
1. Who will pay for her fare to bahrain
2. Do you offer a free ticket home say once in 2-3 years
3. Is she entitled to any leave

Savio

-----------

And finally this from Sylvia:

Ok my dear Goan friends.

Let me start by telling Savio that I shall reply to his email separately, as
he was the only simple, civilized, friendly and to the point replier.

For the Anto's, Gadgil's and Clinton's of this world .... remember no one is
forcing you to send a maid to me (or my friend who actually this ad was for).
I really wanted a contact for the local newspapers and in the bargain sent a
word out regarding our maid hunt.

Anto - I wonder if you would have said those words to my face. Never speak
without knowing facts and for which I now see no need to explain to
"especially"
you. My conversation with you ends here. I come from a very respectable,
simple, Catholic family and would not want to converse nor waste my time with a
character like you - for sure.

As for you "Clinton" what judgement do you want to make of me based on
replying to your 2 questions? You are no one to judge me nor anybody else.
Only, and I repeat only, GOD has the right to do that.

Based in the Gulf does not mean that you are living in luxury. Everyone comes
up the hard way. My first job paid me Rs100/- a day. Eventually you climb up.
So - Do not teach me about what people in Goa earn and how much they earn on an
hourly or day-to-day basis. If someone wants to earn Rs5,000 per month by all
means contact me - no one asked for ridiculous comments. Hope this is clear. I
do not have to explain my terms and conditions and what benefits are
included on
this email, that is why I saved it for my phone call with the prospective
maid.
My requirements were simple and short. You can have more details if you are
interested.

Why am I looking for a first time visitor to the Gulf because much as I hate to
say, 90% of the women who are already here are caught in prostitution, runaway
cases, they ditch you to take up employment as part-timers in 3-4 other houses
and earn more. Maids who know their ways about the country want to travel out
alone - will you take the responsibility if they are beaten and raped?
Unfortunately, this is something that happens a lot every other day. You need
to be protective over your family members - and "Hello" the maid is also
considered to be part of the family. So now tell me - Can you afford to pay for
all her expenses and then get dumped. No! That's why it is better to have a
fresh candidate. What exploitation are you'll talking about. Get real.

Unless you are in a managerial position, as an expatriate in Bahrain you are
not allowed to sponsor a maid. Hence we need to buy a very expensive maid visa.
Are we asking for the maid to pay for that - NO (obviously). Based on what I
have to expense out and what I can afford - that's how much I will pay.

It is no joke to spend so much and then your maid turns out to have friends,
relatives, and family in the country and decides to runaway. Bringing a maid to
your house is her ticket out of India but once they come here they show
different colours. Only a few are very lucky to get honest and faithful maids.

I had a maid who I was paying a very good deal (my greatest fault). I paid
her airfares, a bomb for her visa, provided her clothes, footwear, etc. She was
an excellent cook, fond of kids and fast in her housework. What happened?
Turns out once she got to Bahrain - she forgot how to cook (she could not make
white rice), she had 2 family members in the country and made plans every now
and again to meet them or phone them, she was totally unfriendly with the kids
and she was slow on her feet. My small flat only required half a day to finish
cleaning, cooking and washing. She spent the whole evening watching TV serials.
I had no choice but to send her back to Goa few days ago.

Based on my experience I know what I have asked for. So please, if you think
you know of someone who is interested - then by all means reply otherwise save
your comments.

Thank you.
Sylvia

Will some Gulf Goans, knowledgeable about these matters, please comment?

Cheers!

Cecil
======