Hi Cornel, Wikipedia has the answers (as usual)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_S._Newman
Goa work: Newman was the first to apply modern anthropological theory
and writing to the study of Goan society, his main arguments being
that Goa has never been part of Portugal, but rather a slightly
Lusitanized region of India and that Goan culture must be seen as a
syncretic Hindu-Catholic one. A second conclusion is that the same
"Green Revolution" process that increased grain production in India,
was also successfully applied to fishing in Goa (and elsewhere in
India) but that the human and ecological price paid has been extremely
high. Overall, he attempts to show that popular religion in Goa, as
separate from the classical versions of Catholicism and Hinduism, is a
rich synthesis of the two in which goddesses can be seen (for example)
as either Shantadurga or Our Lady, in which Hindus attend certain
Catholic feast day ceremonies and Catholics make donations to Hindu
temples.

Newman argues that in Goa, as in such places as Mexico, Peru, Brazil,
the Philippines, and Mauritius, contact between two or more
civilizations created a "fascinating synthesis". He says this
synthesis is "one that had been steadfastly slighted by
anthropologists, who wanted to study "pure" India, whatever that may
be!" In line with this argument, he did a stint of research in
Mauritius in 1987, concentrating on popular Hinduism in its various
aspects among the "overseas Indians" there....

Newman has written a wide variety of articles on Goa. Many of them are
combined in his book Of Umbrellas, Goddesses and Dreams which is
published by the Mapusa (Goa)-based Other India Press....

--
FN 9822122436 +91-832-240-9490 (phone calls after 1 pm please)
FLOSS, geeks, blogs:  [http://planet.foss.in/]

For more details visit http://www.bmxgoa.com