Proof of Goanness
Different tests for different British folks
By Cecil Pinto

This week I interview researcher, lecturer, writer and engineer, Jose Lourenco, who has been appointed by the Government of Goa to design various levels of "Goanness Tests" for UK citizens wishing to settle in Goa.

Cecil: Tell me Jose, all these years the only criteria for UK citizens to buy land here was that they had to live here for a contiguous period of 182 days. What's with these Goanness Tests?

Jose: In November this year the UK Government made it compulsory for migrants seeking 'settlement', which is a precursor to nationality, to pass a test of 'Britishness'. In addition to testing English language skills the tests checked on knowledge of British culture and traditions.

Cecil: You mean about pubs, pints, fish & chips?

Jose: Something like that. Here are some random questions I picked up from old test papers. What does Boxing Day celebrate? What is mistletoe traditionally used for at Christmas? According to the Church of England, heirs to the throne are not
allowed to marry whom?

Cecil: And if you know the answers you're fit to be British?

Jose: So the UK Government thinking goes. This knowledge, and having a good grasp of English, they feel, is essential for migrants "to play a full role in society and properly integrate into our communities". That's a quote from UK Home Secretary John Reid. Our Goa Government took note of this humiliation to all Goans applying for British nationality and so decided to retaliate. You know how Brits are buying houses and properties in Goa as though there's no tomorrow. Well now they will have to go through a Goanness Test before being allowed to buy property. This is so they can integrate properly with our community. Ha!

Cecil: What about making knowledge of Konkani compulsory?

Jose: Until we decide on this Roman/ Devnagri script thing, that aspect is being held in abeyance. Besides so many Goans themselves today have stopped speaking Konkani that it would be unfair. Second generation overseas Goans for example have not even a rudimentary knowledge of Konkani.

Cecil: You spoke of various levels of tests. Please explain.

Jose: Well depending on the nuisance level that these Brits pose, and their desirability level, we have different tests. All depends on their qualifications, background, looks, wealth etc etc

Cecil: Isn't that rather discriminatory?

Jose: Hey pal, welcome to the real world. What do you think they do to our people there in the UK? Anyhow here's how it works. At the top of the ladder are the extremely rich Brits who are highly qualified, well bred and spend freely. For them we have a simple test. Sample questions are: What is your name? What is your age? How do you spell Goa? Can I get you some chips with that?

Cecil: You mean basically we want them here, regardless.

Jose: Yes. As also we want the Social Worker types from UK who spend their own money to come here and work among the poor and the disabled. We love both their money and their services. On the next level we have nouveau riche Brits with not much noble blood but who regardless will bring in a lot of money and spend lavishly, if not for anything else but to show off. We have a slightly more difficult test for them and this has to be taken every five years. That clause has been added so if they run out of money, or start showing their true colours, later, they can be shunted off. Sample question for this lot are: What is the first distillation of cashew juice called? How many minimum layers must a 'bebinca' have? What is the traditional loin cloth of Goan farmers called? Which European country ruled Goa for four and a half centuries?

Cecil: Interesting. So you still consider this type of Brits desirable?

Jose: Yes, these types we can tolerate. Who we want to basically keep out are what is referred to as 'charter trash'. Unmannered, ill bred, crude people who are despised even in the UK itself. Most of these are obese too! All they want to do is drink beer and laze in the sun all day. They wouldn't care less about our culture or our sensibilities. They want to purchase a house only because it's cheaper to live here than in England. They wouldn't care less for our way of life, our society or our environment. We have tests for them like: Write down all Alfred Rose's songs in alphabetical order? Who played the comic role in the film Amchem Noxib? Who composed the mando "Tambdem Rosa" and in which year? Which Pernem native founded the Victoria Gardens and the Albert Museum in Mumbai?

Cecil: I get the point. You don't want these people here.

Jose: Well we have allowed the test administrators to be lenient, and even helpful, depending on certain criteria.

Cecil: Like what?

Jose: Well the Irish are so similar to Goan Catholics that they are most welcome. And of course sexy young single UK women add so much to our landscape and bring in ogling Indian male tourists by the hordes. They are most welcome to buy property and intermingle with the locals. Heh! Heh!

Cecil: All these discriminatory tests will surely cause a diplomatic uproar?

Jose: That's just the tip of the iceberg my pal. First the Brits, then all foreignersÂ….

Cecil: Whaaaa?

Jose: Sure! Take those uncouth aggressive young Israelis for example. Nobody in Goa wants or likes them. And thanks to them we have terror threats and what not. Good riddance to bad rubbish! Eventually the Goa Government is planning to apply these tests to cash rich non-Goan Indians buying property here too. They will have to prove their genuine interest in Goa and Goans by passing a Goanness Test. Here too we will have levels. Our similarly cultured neighbours from Mumbai and Bangalore are most welcome, as are Bengalis with who we have a historical link. But we don't want those dastardly Punjabis and Delhites who speak rudely, and with their wallet only. And since Goans can't buy in Kashmir we will not allow Kashmiris to buy land in Goa. As for GujaratisÂ…

The column above appeared in Gomantak Times dated 28th December 2006
=======