To Goa with Love - Three unique Valentine Day packages from EXPRESSIONS
                  Say "I Love You!" in style this year
               For details, photos and pricing check out:

             http://www.goa-world.com/expressions/valentines/
Karnaval Khell: And I thought this traditional Folk plays are really vanishing
from (south)
Goa

There were over 25 folk play groups who advertised in Herald. Last Sunday
alone, there were
about one and a half page of ads related to Khel n Tiatr.

Each group can perform up to 12 different places in Goa during the 3 days of
Carnival and yet
some even perform before the start of Carnival e.g. there is one on prev.
Sunday.
Peak timings being 3pm. 7pm & 10pm and sometimes 10am

I was surprised to see so many groups.
Thanks to all xastikars for keeping this tradition alive
Also, thanks to NRI and Tarvoti who may sponsor such folk play in their
ward/village.

How much does it cost?
Average Rs.7000 per 3 plays/partio (total duration less than 2.5 hrs).
Charges ranges from Rs.6500 to Rs.8000)
Add. Chairs, Mic, posters etc about another Rs.1500. So total around Rs.8500.

More than half of total plays are performed at traditional fixed  places/wards
and by means of
subscription or collection from house to house. Each house used to take it own
bench to sit
for the entire family. Now, most hire chairs in 100s Rs. 3 per chair

Sadly, not all folk plays come with traditional brass or blow instruments as
many used
electric organ, guitar and a drum set and yet charges are hight.

It also seems the Folk Plays have become more of money making seasonal business
now.

Olden days, according to our parents, most of the times, the groups simply come
uninvited in
our wards with the full brass music playing and used to take whatever we
give/pay. All they
wanted to show us was their talents or 'umed'.

So, what is Carnival Folk Plays ?
It is usually a set of 3 musical plays with songs sung in 'segund-premier
voices' each about
45 minutes duration. Essentially performed on floor under the banyan tree or
shade. With full
brass band with blow instrument like trumpet, clarinet, saxophone, drum set.
Check a video clip here (if u haven't seen yet)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TrWMcZeUfeI

I remember watching Xalibai (but only heard of Bata cotto, Kolloi), Minin de
Bandar with Peter
de Benaulim. I still remember his doubble meaning play titles like 'UBAN DILEM'
'LAITANA
DHORLO' etc

Here is the list of performing groups for coming Carnival season (17th Feb to
20th Feb)
Coming sundays, there would be at least another 10-15 new groups.

1. Peter de Nuvem
KONNACHEM AIKON
AMI VETAT
DEV ZANAM

2. Roy de Chinchinnim (with Anil Kamar & Fatima)
BIKARI
ZABADARI KHONN
MOBILE!

3. Candido de Carmona
ORCHONNACHEM
IXTAGOT
EK GODIAL

4. Xavier de Sanguem
TUKA FAVO NA
CHUKONK SODINA
AMKAM BHOSONAM

5. Jolly boys pf Peda-Benaulim
MOZO GUNEANV
AMI CHINTUNK NAM
HUMPEANT ZATA TEM GHORANT ZAINA

6. Star of Areal/Carlito
TANCHEM CHINTAT
MONISPONN
DENNEM

7. Suny & Dada de Maina
KANTTE
TUMKAM
TOPLE

8. Eddy& Bruno
HANV NOKO ZALEM
OXEM KOXEM GODLEM
MOJEA JIVATACHI KANNI

9. Jack Rodson de Benaulim (with Maria, Elvis, Carmin etc)
GUNIEAO KONNACHO
KONNUCH NOKO
BHOGOS MAKA

10. Sansil de Benaulim
HO ROSTO BORO NHUIM
MHOZO SOUNSAR SOMPLO
FOTTIK SANGAHT DHI

11. Jose de Velim
MOJEM MAGNNEM
TUJEM SANGNNEM
ANIKONK NASLEM

12. Cajie de Courtorim
AMCHER VELL AILO OSLO
KONAK LAGON KONN MELO
GOENT LOK ZALA BHAILO

13. Rodrigues de Benaulim – 2 GROUPS
RED: group
TUEN KELEM PAP
HANVEN DILI ZAP
KALLIZ DOVOR SAP

14. ORANGE: group
TUJEM TUKA MEULEM
LOJEN FUL BAULEM
GOEMKAR PON KABAR ZALEM

15. Com. Socor D’silva/Cortalim
HO ZAGO KHONACHO
TO TUMKAM GHORJECHO
HO AVAZ PORJECHO

16. Peter de Macazana
UZVADD
RUPKAR
DUSRO ROSTO DORLO

17. Piety de Navelim
APSVARTI
HANVUNCH GUNIAMKARI
ANDHI AHA CHEDO SODIT SOGLO VADDO

18. SonS of Anthony de Velsao
KITEAK UPKARLEM
TUKA LAGON
HANV CHUKLO

19. JT Arts George-Anthony
ROCHNAR DEV
AMCHO GHORABO
SAMBAUTOLO

20. Milagres de Chandor
HO KAIDO KENAM ETLO
MONISPONN NA
PENSION

21. Babito de Souza
PATOK NASTONA
HEA SOUSARANT
KONNUCH NAM

22. Frank de Duller/Benaulim-Bukul
SAIBA MAKA PAU
SOUSAR HO MOUJECHO
AMERICAHE DOLAR

23. Salvador Afons 26yers in Folk Plays
KIZIL NASTONA GHOR NA
KANTTE VIRET GULAB NA
HEA GHARANT SUK NA

24. Mini Mario
RAKHI
AMI SOGLE EK
ASOT TOR BHAVARTH

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TrWMcZeUfeI

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  for Goa & NRI related info...

Konkani Songs, Goan Photos, Tiatr/Film VCDs, Bank interest rates etc etc
   (for updates etc click below)